Friday, October 5, 2012

Aechmea chantinii - A Bromeliad of Distinction

Bromeliads require very little soil or none at all to grow. Actually the roots are for attachment of the plants to surfaces. They can then be planted in tiny pots with no ill effects. This is unlike most container plants in the tropics which have to be grown in large pots to counter water loss. The flowers are gorgeous and last like forever.

 
An Aechmea chantinii in full bloom is a sight to behold.


 
The flower bud wrapped up mummy-like gives little indication of the blooming beauty that it will one day transformed into.


 
The dramatic scarlet bracts unfurled to reveal several spikes of red-yellow flowers. The stiff upright leaves have silvery horizontal bands, giving it the moniker of Amazonian Zebra Plant. Thorns are found along the edge the leaves.
The flower which is single need not envy the thorns that are numerous -Rabindranath Tagore


Dark coloured fruits are formed at the ends of some flowers. Propagation is easily achieved with suckers which sprout easily from the base of plants after flowering.


During the day several common garden snails such as the one above can be seen nestling in the plant's depths. The whorls of upright leaves formed a fortress of thorns protecting it. I actually gave up trying to pick it out as the snail's conical shape does not allow for a good grip and the thorns pierced my hand. I have to wait for nightfall to complete the job. 


At dusk this snail emerged to forage for food. This is the time to handpick it.


It moved down the length of the leaf and also did some crossovers to other leaves.


Ouch, ouch ... here it is performing its feat. Whoever says that scattering broken eggshells to deter snails have not come across this thick-soled mollusc.


These vivious looking thorns are actually very hard and sharp. I have actually comtemplated on tossing this bromeliad into the compost bin each time I got stabbed by the thorns.


 As this Aechmea chantinii was planted next to a clump of Mother-in-law's tongue (Sansievara trifasciata), it decided to cross over to that too.


 After crossing the saw-toothed edge of the Aechmea chantinii, the edge of Mother-in-law's tongue (Sansievara trifasciata) is just a piece of cake.


Snails are literally crawling all over my garden and even on my porch. One even have the audacity to explore my plant cutter. It probably wanted to supplement its diet with some iron.

Posted from Cork, Ireland (I'm on a one-month sojourn in Ireland for the whole month of October)

22 comments:

  1. Wah ..the snail photos look so gorgeous ..i like it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those snail shots are pretty cool. I'd let them anywhere in my garden:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bromeliad shots --- and the snail photos too! I'd happily have bromeliads at my place, but not the African snails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a snail problem in my garden. I've tried to get rid of them in many ways. They eat everything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ummuaidan,
    The snail might be photogenic but I've already declared war with them.

    Hi Rohrerbot,
    Its a mistake to allow them a free run of your garden as I learned too late. They have caused untole damage to many of my plants.

    Hi Snail,
    Can't agree with you more on having the Bromeliads and kicking those pesky gastropods out. Sorry about your namesake ;)

    Hi Sadun blogi,
    Yes, they have a voracious apetite and to add insult to injury they leave their droppings on my walls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This species of bromliad is very popular at resorts. The flower is spectacular and eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bromeliad flower looks stunning, and that snail sure is a survivor! Hope you're having fun in Ireland. Take care & best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Autumn,
    It is indeed a spectacular flower but resorts have to be careful that they are placed out of reach from children as the thorns are vicious. I handled them gingerly.

    Hi Lithopsland,
    These must be gladiator snails as after a night of munching, they crawled back into the plant base to spend the day. They have adapted well. Thanks, I'm having fun in Ireland. There's much to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snails are not my most favourite things in the garden.
    I have just return from a lovely holiday in Northern Ireland, and do hope you enjoy your sojourn there too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is a very beautiful bromeliad. Rather a nuisance that is has thorns on the leaf edges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't grow bromeliads but it is nice to learn something about the plants and their way of growing. As to snails-I remember in California I would go out at night with a flashlight and pick them. I may have to do the same thing here as the decollate snails are taking over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rosemary,
    Initially I found the snails cute but no more now as they caused havoc with my plants. I'm still having a great time here in Ireland.

    Hi Sunshine,
    When it flowers, I forgave all the injuries that it had inflicted on me.

    Hi Lancashire rose,
    I thought the decollate snails are your allies in your combat against garden snails and slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liście z cierniami pilnują pięknego kwiatka. Pozdrawiam.
    Leaves of thorns watch a beautiful flower. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful bromeliad photos! I love them but don't have any of my own. The snail is so cute ... charming garden pet. I enjoyed your post. All the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Giga,
    Its a plant that can take a lot of neglect. I placed it in a most inaccessible part of the garden because of its thorns and practically forgotten about its existence yet it rewarded me with a gorgeous flower.

    Hi Beth,
    Oh no, the snail is no pet. It is garden enemy numero one. I made the initial mistake of letting go of a huge snail and now it has populated my garden with its numerous offsprings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a similar bromeliad although the flower is lime green and pink. For some reason the flowers do not last as long as other bromeliad flowers though. the flower is stunning - worth putting up with the thorns I would say!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HiAfricanaussie,
    The flower's striking beauty is the reason for its continuing survival in my garden! Many times I've silently cursed it when I got the pricked with the thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic detail and colour in your photos! Each of the subjects you have focused on show us the strength and tenacity of nature, the great beauty of the flower guarded by a fence of thorns and the tenacity of the persistent snail who is really just moving flesh and must drag its protective housing with him wherever he goes. Yet it is the unprotected snail who dares to venture across the thorn barrier. Nature is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Rosemary. I'm amazed at how you can wax so lyrical about Nature and its intricacies. I like how you aptly describe the tenacity of the snail.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog and introducing me to your lovely blog. Your photographs of flowers are wonderful and so colourful.Not so keen on the snails I have seen to many in my garden this year!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so wonderful to see Bromeliads blooming.
    Im still wondering whether to make my broms into a vertical garden since they don't require soil.
    And I really hate snails as they are a constant menace in my garden though none of them are at that size in my garden as I hunt them down time to time.

    I'm not sure whether if you would like this tip:
    Normally I would smash & let a snail bleed and within a few minutes another few more will come and cannibalise over that one.
    That's how I eliminate all the outstanding big snails.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Down by the Sea,
    I've an avalanche of snails and is rather overwhelmed with these pesky gastropods. It's almost impossible to take photos of my flowers without including them too.

    Hi James,
    Thanks for the tip but I might feel queasy doing it. Can't stand to see the entrails hanging out. Usually I'll put my hand into a plastic bag and collect them (even then I feel queasy doing it) before disposing them. I'll probably resort to snail bait.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...