Saturday, December 15, 2012

Yellow Vented Bulbul on Quisqualis indica

Yellow Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier), called Merbah Kapur in Malay are common birds in my garden. When there is a handful of them around, the garden is full of their chatter and bird calls. Its face is white with kohl-lined black eyes. The feathers on the underside of the tails (coverts) are yellow while it is light brown on the rest of the underbelly and chest.

This Yellow Vented Bulbul was spotted on a branch of Quisqualis indica.


 The playground for the birds



 It first did a check of its surroundings, before it hopped further down the branch to check out the flowers.


不鸣则已,一鸣惊人
"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."  - Chinese proverb


 
Perhaps it finally became aware of my snooping lens and so turned around to show me its butt before ...

 
flying off to a nearby tree.



It fluffed up its feathers ...



and started preening.



When that was done, it got ready to take off again ...




to land on another branch.



PS: I've just acquired a telephoto lens (Nikkor 55-300mm) at a reasonable price. The above photos are the outcome of this session. My hands are a bit shaky with this longer lens, so I probably should consider getting a monopod to assist me in achieving sharper images. On the whole I'm quite happy with the outcome, considering what I have to pay for it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...