Saturday, December 15, 2012

Yellow Vented Bulbul on Quisqualis indica

Yellow Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier), called Merbah Kapur in Malay are common birds in my garden. When there is a handful of them around, the garden is full of their chatter and bird calls. Its face is white with kohl-lined black eyes. The feathers on the underside of the tails (coverts) are yellow while it is light brown on the rest of the underbelly and chest.

This Yellow Vented Bulbul was spotted on a branch of Quisqualis indica.


 The playground for the birds



 It first did a check of its surroundings, before it hopped further down the branch to check out the flowers.


不鸣则已,一鸣惊人
"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."  - Chinese proverb


 
Perhaps it finally became aware of my snooping lens and so turned around to show me its butt before ...

 
flying off to a nearby tree.



It fluffed up its feathers ...



and started preening.



When that was done, it got ready to take off again ...




to land on another branch.



PS: I've just acquired a telephoto lens (Nikkor 55-300mm) at a reasonable price. The above photos are the outcome of this session. My hands are a bit shaky with this longer lens, so I probably should consider getting a monopod to assist me in achieving sharper images. On the whole I'm quite happy with the outcome, considering what I have to pay for it.

18 comments:

  1. Hey...very nice photos..u managed to capture it movements well..goo to have telephoto lens err...waiting for more gorgeous photos..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ummuaidan, thanks. I was surprised with the outcome as the camera shake was quite bad. However I did amped up the shutter speed to counter this.

      Delete
  2. These photos are beautiful, both the bird and the flowers, you should be delighted with your new lens. The bird looks as if he is wearing a black eye mask like a burglar in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary, I'm more than happy with my new lens particularly as I paid only a fraction of what I initialy plan to buy. The black band across its eyes gives it an air of avian mystery.

      Delete
  3. Dobrze się spisałaś i Twój nowy obiektyw, bo zdjęcia są śliczne. Pozdrawiam.
    You have done well and your new lens, because the pictures are beautiful. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots Stiletto! Well done..despite your hands doing 'disco dancing' :)
    I have gorgeous birds too coming to the tree at my bedroom window.
    Would this lens do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be a wonderful opportunity to have great birdie shots. If the tree is nearby even an ordinary lens will serve the purpose.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful bird and pictures - once again! We have a puppy now in our family. A Golden Retriever, called Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just checked out your latest post on Mickey. He is adorable. Golden Retrievers are generally very sweet tempered and lovable dogs. I hope he can ease much of the emptiness in your household post-Aku.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, you have taken some really gorgeous shots of this elegant bird, so the new lens was worth it.Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm really pleased with my long lens. Using this lens I've shot some photos of very private acts of mammals similiar to your pair of amorous frogs in your latest post.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your recent very sweet comment left on my blog post "grief & comfort ". Your blog is truly spectacular I especially loved your caterpillar to gorgeous moth post of recent. Please have a wonderful, warm & perfect holiday season with much love from all of us (over here on the other side of the world;-) xoxo Susan & les Gang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, thanks for appreciating. Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to you and gang.

      Delete
  8. That's very beautiful pictures from your camera! Beautiful flowers and cute bird! Never thought merbah is beautiful until i saw your picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Before capturing them with my lens, I wasn't sure how they actually look like until I downloaded the images and view them on my monitor.

      Delete
  9. Exciting pictures. I would have been thrilled to capture this beauty. Enjoy the new lens. You are going to LOVE it! The pictures will get better and better and your hand gets quicker on the manual focus. I'm finding that a lot of my older photos don't compare to the shots I'm taking now....and it was with the same lens!!! Have fun....and Happy Birding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being so inspiring. I was advised to use aperture or shutter priority mode but after trying out many shots, I reverted to my usual manual mode. There is more control and the quality is more consistent.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...