Monday, September 3, 2012

Crossandra infundibuliformis - The Firecracker Flower

Crossandra infundibuliformis is a must have if you want to add a perpetual dash of orange and yellow hues to the garden. It is a great performer and never fails to disappoint.
Crossandra infundibuliformis ‘Tropic Flame’ is salmon-orange in colour.


 
This container of ‘Tropic Flame’ sits preetily at the driveway.


 
 It is showy and displays numerous blooms all the time.


 
Flowers are carried terminally on upright spikes, reminiscent of firecrackers. To me they look like mini bouquets of flowers.


 THe spikes continue to produce flowers after the previous ones are done. 


Crossandra infundibuliformis is easily propagated from stem cuttings. 


Pink and white Portulacas happily reside in the same container.


 
Crossandra infundibuliformis 'Lutea' is deep yellow.


It is equally floriferous but more dainty than the 'salmon-orange'.


The spikes continue to produce flowers terminally for months before turnng brown. Deadheading these brown spikes will tidy up the bush. This is all the care needed besides the routine watering and fertilising.


Shot at dusk.


'A flower is an educated weed' - Luther Burbank


Three spikes of Crossandra lutea in an Irish shot glass. Since I do not have the Leprechaun's pot of gold, I shall make do with these mini golden bouquets.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are indeed lovely. I have seen it been planted between busy roads in some towns. It is a great bloomer and hardy too.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely bright flower, and I like that you can propagate it from cuttings. I'll have to look out for it here. You have such interesting plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuttings sprout tender green leaves in no time. No growth hormones are required. It is that easy.

      Delete
  3. You have so different flowers from ours. Wonderful colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers in your country are lovely too. The only difference is that the plants here thrive and bloom all year round.

      Delete
  4. The colors are so beautiful! I love the tangerine...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tangerine/orange is more showy since the flowers are bigger. However the yellow ones are brighter and cheery.

      Delete
  5. The yellow ones are really bright. I love how you grow them in a big pot. They look like they will never stop blooming... how wonderful :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that container planting has a plus point in that we are able to determine the type soil mix and fertilising is more controlled. Indeed they bloom continuously.

      Delete
  6. wow, these are great! And you're right, they do look like firecrackers and mini bouquets. Love the Irish shot glass! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the shot glass and I'm rather partial to the cheeky Leprechaun.

      Delete
  7. Tropic flame is lovely. I'm glad you included the name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I have a mild form of OCD. There is always this burning desire in me to find out the name of the plants that I grow.

      Delete
  8. Love your potted beauties. Thanks for stopping by today. Chris from Las Aventuras

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these soft orange color and bright yellow which must be gold according to the amount of light. Lovely series of photos.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoy our brightly coloured flowers which may sometimes appear gaudy compared to the soft pastel flowers that the Japanese favour.

      Delete
  10. What beautiful flowers!! I've never seen these before since my climate isn't as tropical. They look great in your container. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen this plant during my trip abroad. Having said that, there are many lovely annuals in temperate climes.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful flowers which I am not familiar with you are so lucky to be able to grow them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea whether Crossandras can be planted in cooler climates. Have not seen it on my travels though.

      Delete
  12. Orange and golden yellow are my new favorite colors in the garden, and your pictures here are exactly the soft shade that I love. For me, in a northern climate, I have apricot / orange / gold nasturtiums that are pleasing me this year. I love the color of that firecracker flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellows and orange are cheery, summery colours that perpetuate to fall colours.

      Delete
  13. Those firecracker flowers sure do brighten up the garden and they look nice in the vase too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually not a vase but an Irish shot glass.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...