Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Podranea ricasoliana - Trumpeting Its Loveliness

These delightful lilac-pink flowers of Podranea ricasoliana aka 'Pink Trumpet Vine' bloom the whole year round. It is actually a climber but I've trained it into a slender tree of about 12 feet high. 
 
 I love its pastel colours against the light blue sky. 

The rim of dark pink around the entrance to the tubular part seems to be a pointer for insects. 

I've seen carpenter bees with big girths struggling to get into the deeper recesses of the flowers. 

An unidentified moth*with transparent patches in its wings hangs precariously on this flower. The underlying pink of the flower shows through its wings making it look like a pink-coloured moth.
(now identified as *Clear Wing Tiger moth, Ceryx sphenodes - updated on 25.1.2016) 

It is not what you look at that matters, it is what you see
~
 
Hendry David Thoreau


The lateral branches arch gracefully down displaying the blooms for eye candy enjoyment at eye level.

  The yellow trumpet flowers of Allamanda cathartica and Tecoma Stans (image below) provide a strong contrast of colours.


This is a tree-top view from above. The compound leaves of dark glossy green provide a nice background to the flowers which are produced terminally.

I shot this from the first floor balcony. My plants have a good drenching from this high-powered hosing. Water pressure was high but adjusted to a rose shower so as not to damage the flowers.


 
 When a strong wind blows the flowers float gently down. 



Fallen flowers gave the lawn an added texture of interest. I usually leave the flowers on the lawn as it is, ornamented with Nature's baubles to be enjoyed for a while longer.


 This snail enjoyed gliding along the watering hose so much, it refused to get off it. It moved along the hose for many, many feet and seemed to be enjoying itself so much that I've no heart to interrupt its glee. I left it to its  own devices for the night. The next morning it was gone. Well ... so be it.

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” 
― Confucius




For recipe, please click on my food blog
 http://stiletto-goodeats.blogspot.com/

 

23 comments:

  1. Great photogtaphy...Im glad I found you..I hate word verificaiton...5 or 6 tries I proablaly wont post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have word verification because I'd become frustrated if I'm make to do it several times. Perhaps I should ask for the disablity version :)

      Delete
  2. I know the Trumpet Creeper, creeper man them in the garden, but I only know the Trumpet Creeper in orange or red.Ten color is beautiful, I salute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name, Trumpet creeper is the common name. There are many vines with trumpet-like flowers. A very good example is Tecoma stans which has yellow flowers. Using its botanical name is the proper form of identification.

      Delete
  3. I love the way there is a huge snail that often enters into your pictures, you are so patient with them :) The picture of the pink flowers against the sky has a magical quality to it, must be the combination of colours. I had no idea you have a food blog, it is lunchtime here so I will go visit and feed my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are snails in my pictures simply because there are all over the place. Ive failed in my role as Terminator. The colour is really lovely.

      While I was in Cork, I cooked several simple but nutritious dishes for my kids (actually they are adults). As they are busy people these dishes would be simple to whip up. At first I have the recipes archived digitally but thought it better to have it on the net where it can't be accidentally erased. That's how I got the idea of starting a food blog where they can access them.

      Delete
  4. That chicken dish looks delicious!!! Love this plant. I've seen it around and it's very green and lush! Your snails are so beautiful!!! And love the bug on the flower. Nicely captured:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw the snail was not included in the dish ;)

      I just can't believe the snails are beautiful after the way they chomped on my plants. It is fine if they nibble a bit, but when they felled long stems down, then I'd declare war. I have no problem with the clear wing moth and thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  5. That flower has a lovely colour. It's surprisingly tall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its actually a vine which I managed to train to a good height as it grows vigorously.

      Delete


  6. Palabras e ideas que brotan del techado como un susurro y son tan dulces que se parecen a un beso...

    El que te envío en este instante, para felicitarte e fin de semana y seguir cultivando en armonía la semilla de la cordialidad, que se alimenta del rocío de las estrellas…

    Atte.
    María Del Carmen



    ReplyDelete
  7. My gosh what beauty you live in, a lovely flower for sure and the moth is amazing. I love looking to see what you've posted, always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for appreciating. I have trouble navigating your blog, to follow or to post comments.

      Delete
  8. Stiletto...very beautiful flowers..i like it so much..as i always admire yr photos..:)btw yr garden look so beautiful and greeny.. btw is that u in the photo..? heheh(busy body)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw I mentioned that I was the photographer, so how could I be down there too? :P
      I'm sorry I stoked your curiousity with that photo :D

      Delete
    2. ooohh...i read that but imagined that u maybe used selftimer..(maybe again stupid question excused..) i'm so sorry i thought so..but maybe i didn't questioned u correctly..instead i should ask who's in that photo look like some asian face..heheh....

      Delete
    3. Ha,ha, imagine using the self-timer and then running downstairs, don the hat, turn on the hose and then look up at where the camera is to make sure I'm in the viewfinder - wow, quite an accomplishment, don't you think? Btw, I've thought of that. Thanks for giving me the idea.

      Delete
  9. This is simply gorgeous!
    Love the sweet pastel colors of pink.
    It reminds me of Thunbergia Sky Vine which is quite similar in shape but light blue in color.
    You are blessed with a beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I supposed some effort is needed for a verdant garden. I have several Thunbergia grandiflora and have also done a post on it. Its vine is not as woody but flowers even more crazily.

      Delete
  10. Never seen it before. Beautiful flowers Stiletto.
    Have a wonderful sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed beautiful and the best part is that flowers are produced year round, being non-seasonal. Have a good Sunday too.

      Delete
  11. I'm amazed that see the beauties here.
    You really manage to find the time patiently to incorporate flora & fauna together in their best appearance and elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora and fauna are mutually inter-dependent on each other for their lineage and harmonious co-existence though sometimes it is only be beneficial to one party. Thus it is only natural that I feature them in this happy relationship.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...