Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Water Monitor Lizard on a Walkabout

Through the glass from inside the house I looked out into the backyard garden and saw this snake-like head peeking out from below a ledge. My immediate reaction was to jump back. Then I saw its claws and heaved a sigh of relief as it was actually a water monitor lizard (Varanus salvator). These lizards can reach up to six feet long and weigh up to 100 lbs. It is carnivorous, feeding on small mammals and are also scavengers.

I observed it from behind the sheer curtain so it was not awared of my presence. This one was about one and half feet long. It was cautious; looking out intently in all directions for a while before deciding that the coast was clear to emerge.

The dorsal surface of its hands and feet were patterned in mehendi fashion.

It then moved out towards the pool, turning to skirt round it.

 
While trying to get the best angle to reduce the reflection through the glass, I noisily knocked on some furniture. That's when it immediately made a complete turn around.
 
It scampered back,


towards the safe sanctuary

of its hideout under the ledge, 

near a container of Red Dracaena marginata.

It paused for a moment on the deck before disappearing reluctantly into its abode. The pattern of its hide can be considered to be beautiful. Hmn ... wondering whether its hide would make a nice wallet or a fanciful belt. Just kidding.


 
This arboreal lizard was spotted on a green Dracaena marginata plant in the patio.


While on  a trip to Sandakan recently, I was at the waterfront of Four Points by Sheraton looking out to sea ...


when I saw this large monitor lizard of about five feet long swimming to land. It swam with the undulation of the tail, propelling it forward. 


"Precisely the least, the softest, lightest, a lizard's rustling, a breath, a flash, a moment - a little makes the way of the best happiness."~ Friedrich Nietzsche


it then climbed onto the rocks.


And stuck its forked tongue out which was not pink like humans but bluish-black.

Why does the lizard stick his tongue out? The lizard sticks its tongue out because that's the way its listening and looking and tasting its environment. It's its means of appreciating what's in front of it.
- William Shatner


16 comments:

  1. Very nice shots!!! Love this scary looking lizard. I always jump back when I spot a reptile....and then....I calm down and take pictures. Love the quote from William Shatner:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lizard looks scary but is actually quite tame. It is not known to attack humans. I appeared to be brave as I shot the photos from inside the house :) where I'm safe and sound.

      Delete
  2. Śliczna jest jaszczurka, którą zobaczyłaś i świetne zdjęcia zrobiłaś. Pozdrawiam.
    Beautiful is the lizard, which saw and did some great shots. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first two shots are spectacular, love the angles and the way the lizard is looking at the camera! I am looking at your photos and realized how clenched my stomach is. Lizards are completely foreign to me and I find them a little scary. Just the mention of the last one being 5 feet long sends me into a panic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for appreciating. Even though I've seen lizards every now and then from my childhood days, I'm still rather wary of them. The five-foot long critter was way down below the 15 ft high embankment. So you can see why I did not flee :)

      Delete
  4. You have got great pictures of the lizards! Have a great Christmas, Stiletto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Satu. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. I loved this lizard, although it's enough long. I've never seen it before, thank you for sharing!
    Happy Christmas, Stiletto!
    Nadezda
    http://northern-garden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that you don't find it scary. I believe they are found in the tropics and in swamps and marshlands. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. cool! this lizards are very beautiful!

    Have a great weekend!

    xoxo, Juliana | PJ’ Happies :) | PJ’ Ecoproject

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its cool that you can appreciate reptiles and one with such a loud pattern on its hide. A great weekend to you too and Happy Holidays.

      Delete
  7. Whenever there is a heavy downpour and the drains (even monsoon drains) overflow, these lizards will pay a visit to our gardens and drainage holes. They look so scary but you are brave to get some many lovely shots of them. Stiletto, wishing you and family Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Autumn Belle, wishing you a Joyous Holiday this festive period. As I mentioned before, I'm not that brave as I shot from inside the house, through the glass door. In Sandakan, I used tele lens, shooting from high up on the embankment.

      Delete
  8. Hi you...i'm back..almost missed this great shots..
    again the works of the telephoto...? very clear, nice and amazing...
    btw the last lizard so big...is it like biawak type?
    anyway merry Christmas 2 u or u celebrate CNY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ummu, glad to hear from you again. The uprooting of your trees was quite scary, but fortunately there are no injuries.

      Out in the open, I use a tele lens to shoot this 'biawak yang besar dan panjang'.

      I celebrate Christmas and CNY (Spring Festival)like all Chinese around the world. Happy Holidays and a hopeful New Year ahead.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...