Saturday, January 26, 2013

Kiss of the Cobra - A Tribute to the Year of the Snake

According to the Chinese lunar calender, the Chinese Spring festival falls on the 10th February 2013 which is the year of the water snake. There are twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac, thus the next cycle where the snake is featured will be twelve years away. Every 12-year cycle is associated with one of the five elements; wood, water, earth, fire and metal.


Snakes likeness on spiral Dracaena Sanderiana (Lucky Bamboo) for year 2013. The Chinese character 'Fu' on the old form of gold ingot means good luck or good fortune.

Something old and something new. I bought eight new stems of Lucky Bamboos and added six long stems of the old leafy ones. The latter were propagated from previous years' bamboo spirals. The leaves grew from the nodes in the spirals.


In July 2010, I was at the balcony of the Penang Hard Rock Hotel, enjoying the view below when I saw a crowd gathering round ...

a snake charmer. I quickly grabbed my camera and rushed down to join the crowd.


He had his 'precious' in the basket while a man with a tatoo of a frog hovered nearby, probably thinking of luring it out.

The Monocled cobra (Naja kaouthia) with its hood flared out, slithered languorously out of the rattan basket ...

towards its master for a reassuring smooch. Cobras are venomous snakes and their venom is a neurotoxin, affecting the nervous system. If not treated early, death occurs due to respiratory failure or cardiac arrest as a result of paralysis of the associated muscles.
 

The snake was swung up high for a good view of the audience. It seems cobras can  see very well even at night.


It was then brought down to eye level for an eyeball encounter. Meanwhile the snake flicked its blue tongue rapidly ...



and drooled too. Or perhaps it was from the snake charmer.

This is the King cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) which is the longest of the venomous snakes. It is light brown with pale yellow bands across the whole length of its body. It can be distinguished from other cobras from the inverted V stripe across the back of the head and neck instead of an eye (monocle) or two eyes (spectacles).


It too came for the smooch.


The Kiss, but not the mouth-to-mouth type.


So, gingerly, he tried again.


The King cobra was quite helpful and assisted in holding up the mike.


It was quite a handful to gather it up back into the basket.


 I'd rather have these cute, docile 'snake' buns for sale at a pastry shop anytime. They are yummy to boot.



This common garden snail glided determinedly on Dracaena Sanderiana (Lucky Bamboo) to rub off some of its luck. On its wish list is certainly one on being free from predators in the Year of the Snake, particularly the snakes themselves!!!



22 comments:

  1. Gosh those little snakes are cute! Will watch out for them when I do my CNY shopping this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to this shop selling CNY ornaments and almost emptied the basket of snakes!

      Delete
    2. The best part was the price was half that at shopping malls :)

      Delete
  2. This scares me a snake charmer, and what is he doing with that hose. Buns-snakes very funny. Beautiful pictures as always, I greet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, it's no hose but a slithery Cobra :) I like the cheeky tongue thrust of those doughy snakes. It makes me want to bite their heads off.

      Delete
  3. Not keen on snakes but happy to see them at a distance as per your interesting post. Beautifully illustrated and an entertaining commentary - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your feeling as most people feel queasy about snakes. So, in spite of your uneasiness I'm glad that you can still enjoy the this post.

      Delete
  4. Na zdjęcia patrzyłam z zaciekawieniem, ale na żywo bym nie poszła takiego pokazu oglądać. Boję się węży. Na żywo, wole bułeczki. Pozdrawiam.
    I looked at the photos of curiosity, but I would not have gone live this show to watch. I'm afraid of snakes. Live, crop rolls. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually snakes won't harm you unless they feel threathened. Anyway the snake charmer was there to take control :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful and exciting post! Smart of you to grab your camera to catch the show. I love the shot of the snake charmer with the frog tattoo at the side of the photo, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you noticed this deliberate detail. It was just so serendipitous that this man happened to be there, just in front of me. I slowly edged forward and angled my camera so as to include his tattooed arm into the photo :)

      Delete
  6. Hi stiletto...
    For me it's a frightening to watch the snake show..especially when 'kissing' part...can be dangerous right..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be quite scary, but I kept my distance behind at least one row of spectators. It seems they remove the venom just before the show to prevent any untoward incident.

      Delete
  7. Nice... have not seen a snake charmer with my own eyes as yet... you are lucky...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its great to see this and of all places, at Hard Rock Hotel.

      Delete
  8. It's so interesting! Wow! I've never seen man kissing a snake cobra. How can he do it? He doesn't afraid the snake, although they have poison. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos of a snake charmer in Thailand kissing a snake with its blue tongue flicking out - I'm totally freaked out at the sight. Imagine sharing body fluids with a reptile! Ugh, gross!

      Delete
  9. I wonder whether these snake-charmers have been bitten before..hahaha..It take lots of guts to kiss a snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that most of those people who died from cobra bites are mostly snake charmers. Cobras usually try to avoid confrontation with humans. They only become aggressive when cornered. Guts aside, I would think that there are easier and more savoury ways to earn a living.

      Delete
  10. I can't help it, but I'm afraid of all kind of snakes! I couldn't go and follow a snake show...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a tremendous effort to overcome my initial fear so that I can witness the show firsthand. The window of opportunity for street performances is very scarce.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...