Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jatropha podagrica and the Green Grasshopper

I remember forever having Jatropha podagrica (Buddha Belly Plant) in my garden. They are self-seeding and generally flourished without much effort on my part.

The leaves are large and round  with a few shallow indents.  Spines radiate from the centre of the leaf giving it a star shape.



Upright flowers stalks soon follow. Five flowers of the inflorescence are in anthesis while the remaining tiny round globes are probably the male flowers.



The fruit is large compared to the flower. It is in the form of an elongated globule and consist of five segments.



 

 Pollination is a frequent success story with fruits forming easily. It is  evidenced here by the presence of five well-formed fruits. 



The fruits are a powdery light teal green colour which is quite similar to the colour of the leaves. They stay on the stalk for many weeks before bursting.



The stem of the plant is swollen hence its moniker, 'Buddha Belly'. Its characteristics are similiar to succulents. When any part of the plant is broken off, a light murky sap oozes out.

 
I was snipping off the half chomped-off leaves of the Pseuderanthemum reticulatum when the mystery of the jagged leaf edges was uncovered.

 
The uninvited dinner guest was a homogeneously green grasshopper. being caught red-handed, it quickly hopped on to a sturdy leaf stalk of Jatropha podagrica.



Through the filtered sunlight, the limbs appeared like translucent jade. Only the reddish-grey antennae and yellow spikes on its lower leg detract from its homogenous green colour. The claws have a reddish tinge. I thought they look like manicured and pedicured painted nails.

 
Here its head is seen admist the leaf, flowers and fruits.


It clinged on the stalk with its vice-grip.



Before long it decided to ascend by spreading out its limbs all over for anchorage until it could clutched the edge of a leaf.

It then heaved itself up on to the leaf surface.

 Old Tibetan rosary comprising one hundred and five-beads. The black beads are interspersed with yellow ember, sky-blue turquoise, red coral and silver beads. (From my sister's collection of antique beads and baubles).




31 comments:

  1. I love seeing pictures of tropical flora and fauna. That plant is amazing. Flowers like coral, fruits like figs and that swollen stem. I have never seen anything like that!
    And the grasshopper is very interesting. It looks as though it doesn't have any wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Flowers like coral, fruits like figs and that swollen stem". Wow, how concise and yet descriptive. The green hue of the grasshopper is its camouflage. Now that you mentioned about the non existence of wings, I recall that it was just hopping and straggling along.

      Delete
  2. The buddhist way is to rever all life so I am hoping you removed him to your nieghbors? or did you just stomp him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are preachy and cheeky, aren't you? ;)

      Actually, my garden sometimes looks like they have been savaged by locusts. Caterpillars, snails, grasshoppers, carpenther bees and others are allowed to indulge. After viewing my gnawed and chomped off plants, my neighbours cheekily offered to pass their pests to me, grrr...

      After I had my photography sessions with these critters, I felt a certain bonding with them. So, its live and let live!

      Delete
  3. It is exciting seeing plants and flowers from other parts of the world, flowers I haven't even heard of before. I must admit, Jatropha podagrica was completely new to me, never seen that on in a plant catalogue around here :-) Lovely photos, and the grass hopper was great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene for your appreciation. Making a puchase of this plant is not neccesary as they sprout like weeds from the exploding fruits. My garden is full of these seedlings, and they grow fast, swelling their bellies.

      Delete
  4. I love this plant for its unique flower stalk and fruits! It is wonderful to see it in your garden and btw, great shots, Stiletto!! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie for your kind words. This is a unique and old world plant. I remembered seeing it in my late grandma's garden as a child. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful and different flower. It has a lovely red color. That grasshopper looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a common plant here and can be styled like bonzais. The swollen trunk will increase in girth over time.

      Delete
  6. An interesting flower and its large fruit. Holding the pony looks great leaves and flower stalks. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its more like a succulent and should be treated as such.

      Delete
  7. Your second shot is magical, the colour pops out of my computer screen! I love your posts and the way you include the insects that appear hidden within your pictures. Uninvited dinner guest indeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, your sense of perception is highly honed to be able to see the magic in it! I appreciaate that. I love fauna including those detrimental (not too many though) to my plants. They enhance the gardening experience.

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted to grow Jatropha podagrica but I think it is too wide for my small windows, but man, do I love this weird-looking plant. I had never seen a fruit from one before, so thank you for sharing the pics! They're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dispersal of seeds by the exploding fruits is very efficient. I find robust seedlings on my lawn and in continers of other plants. The best part is that the young seedlings themselves are already pot-bellied. If transferred to a small pot, they make instant bonzais.

      Delete
  9. You described the scene so well, that i went back and forth to the described part to see the details, hehe! I see this jatropha here too, but i am not tempted yet to plant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially, like you, I didn't think much of it. However my perception of this plant changed when I saw a potted Jatropha placed prominently at the counter of a Korean restaurant in London. Since then, I've come to view it differently and now able to see how unique it is.

      Delete
  10. Hello there and thank you for dropping by my blog!
    Your pictures are stunning : ) ... I can't imagine how amazing a garden filled with such exotic plants and insects must be to explore every day like this .. you are very lucky !
    Joy : ) from the cold north !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for returning the visit. Since Jatropha is a native plant it is not as exotic as if it is in the west. The grasshopper is a pest really. It ate so much of the leaves, but I have no heart to be mired in critter-homicide after a long session of shutterbugging.

      Delete
  11. Hello Stiletto!
    What a nice and complete post on this marvellous plant!
    A great discovery for me!
    Beautiful photos of the flower, the fruit and... the hopper!!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noushka. Glad to be able to add to your journey of discovery.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photography stiletto. I like it.
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marijke. I have good subjects, both flora and fauna. A great week for you too.

      Delete
  13. Lovely color on that bloom. And the fruit is so interesting. Love the shots of the grasshopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilly-red flowers, explosive fruits and a green hopper to complete the picture. I couldn't ask for anything better.

      Delete
  14. I always enjoy seeing the unique flowers from other countries! But I see the same pests in my garden. Go away grasshoppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you are able to discern its uniqueness, but I don't really mind the grasshopper in spite of its gluttony for my foliage.

      Delete
  15. Ours never show belly yet maybe shy shy still too langsing. Very interesting plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange, but mine show right from infancy - baby belly!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...