Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Romps on Yellow-Peach-Orange Hibiscus


Planting Hibiscus shrubs is a good bet if you want to welcome fauna into your garden. The shrub itself would be a vibrant microcosm of fauna activities.


These hybrids are showy but are ...
 more prone to mealy bugs infestations.


Six-legged critters love hibiscus flowers to distraction; they are crawling all over the buds in great anticipation.


This stink bug is about to try out some acrobatics ... to reach its object of desire.




A beautiful floral escapade for this bug.



A favourite activity of Carpenter bees is bud-hugging while soaking in the sunshine.  One of their favourite perches are Hibiscus flower buds.

 
They can indulge in this the whole day with only very few short breaks of nectar sipping on flowers such as the Thunbergia Grandiflora. I've not seen them partaking of the nectar from the Hibiscus.


 A double-petaled variety.


Some unidentified crawling insects milling around.


Another solitary critter peeking out at the world, prefering to be far from the madding crowd.

“Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eyes level
 with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain.”
- Henry David Thoreau



Single petal variety; Hibiscus rosa sinensis 'Madeline Champion'


A sunbird swinging on the flower stalk of the hibiscus.



Alas, the blooms last only a day but  a new crop will make an appearance on the shrub the next day giving the illusion long lasting blooms 

18 comments:

  1. You have a veritable township of bugs, critters, and beautiful birds enjoying your exquisite Hibiscus flowers. I have some Hibiscus too but they are not yet open, hopefully they will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its mini circus out there :) I'm glad to know that the Hibiscus has become a global plant.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post about the hibiscus. Great to see how many insects are visiting your garden. I love the bird you are showing.
    Have a wonderful day Elsie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marijke. I don't mind the insects visiting as long as they are not pests and harm the plants. The bird is a female sunbird - without the electric blue throat.

      Delete
  3. They are finally creating hybrids for our cold climate and I am happy to say that I have some hibiscus in my garden as well :) The colours of your hibiscus are gorgeous and I love the apricot colour of the double petal one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This apricot colour, double petalled variety is very old-world and on the smallish side compared to the hybrids.

      Delete
  4. Oh I just had a post about hibiscus too - they really are the backbone of my garden, and i have noticed that the hybrid you have as your first picture is in my neighbors garden and does seem to attract more pests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that Hibiscus,the national flower in my country takes pride of place in your garden. Though I love the showy hybrids, I'm still very much devoted to the old world hibiscus as they are robust and most reliable.

      Delete
  5. Your hibiscus are gorgeous! We grow these in pots and bring them inside for the winter. Now I wonder what fauna is tagging along with the plants each year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a large enough place to bring all these plants indoors for the winter. The critters probably have warm, cosy winter accomodation too!

      Delete
  6. Yellow-peach-orange is such a unique color, I love it. Different from the image of blooming Hibiscus, elegant but powerful, I’ve learned it is another symbol of impermanence with such a short duration of blooming. I’ve heard Japan’s summer is too hot for hibiscus. I wonder if it depends on the variety? Anyway, I think Japan’s summer is as hot as or hotter than some tropical countries. Today it was 37 degrees C and tomorrow will be nearly 39. Hot, hot, hot!

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibiscus can withstand your summer temperatures as most of the time we have such temperatures here. Locals keep cool by staying indoors with the air-condioning at full blast. I love hibicus and plan to cultivate some of the new showy hybrids.

      Delete
  7. A double-petaled variety of hibiscus is very pretty! I love this bush and fortunately we grow it inside only, not outside. It's pity the flower blooms one day only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true that it is so transient. However the consolation is that there are many more to take its place the next day.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful! I've never grown these but after seeing these pictures, I think I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive seen them planted as standards in Canada and America - you should give it a try.

      Delete
  9. beautiful shots great colors as always ! I love hibiscus

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...