Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lantana Camara - A berryful harvest


This cluster of lantana camara is of the 'spreading sunset' variety.

 


 
The lush foliage is borne on sturdy stems which are from the wild lantanas. Soft-stemmed types of various hues are then grafted onto them. I got this specimen from the nursery last year and it has never failed to disappoint.

 
They bloom profusely and almost non stop throughout the year. The only downside comes from our harsh tropical rain which washes the delicate tiny flowers off their petioles.

I love these pristine white flowers with canary yellow centres. They remind me of a plateful of fried eggs with sunny-side-up .

Pure yellow florets can also be expressed. They add warm summery tones to the whole assemble.

Solid white and solid yellow florets can be seen too. The solitary ant must have lots of fun wandering around; from bridal white to royal yellow floral chambers.
These clusters of pink-white and yellow-white in the same inflorescense showcase the diverse permutations of hues possible. Often called the lanatana camara 'ham n eggs'.
 
These are some of the unripe berries which I've harvested to be used for a casual flower arrangement on my kitchen windowsill. The berries formed as a result of missing them out during deadheading of spent flowers.
 
This arrangement consists of materials which are the flotsam and jetsam from trimmings in the garden; bird's nest fern (Asplenium nidus), Mother-in-law's tongue (Sanseveria Trifasciata), red Carphalea Kirondon and Lantana Camara berries. It is such sheer waste to merely cast them off.
After about 2 days in the vase, the berries ripen into luscious globes and take on a jet black shade which looks good enough to be eaten. The pale green cores remained when all the ripe berries have fallen.



10 comments:

  1. Very pretty flowers and container arrangements! Thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you visited as well. It enabled me to discover your blog and wonderful photography.
    The lantana looks beautiful. I've never seen it in all those shades. Here it is a declared weed because it takes over native forests, so we are not allowed to have it in our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the wild ones too, often seen by the roadside while we grow the lovely cultivars in our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole, thanks for visiting and kind comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely collection of varieties of lantana.
    Strange that you mentioned about eggs - they are also known as ham & eggs.

    Some people are sensitive to lantana - the leaves cause rashes, and some hate the fragrance of the flowers.
    Somehow I love the fragrance of these flowers.
    Lantana is poisonous - so do take caution when you are handling them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do have an image of the 'Ham n Eggs'variety (pink and yellow/white). Strange, how we always relate to food.

    I've read that it is toxic to pets but somehow my little pooch survives after a good chew of almost any of the supposedly poisonous plants.

    I find that the scent of the cultivars are not as overwhelming as the wild variety. I used to hate the pungent fragrance but somehow now I've got use to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm a new follower. Your lantana looks gorgeous! I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting. I enjoy reading your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lantana is simply beautiful! Used to grow one years ago but not anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to fine them temperamental. One day they can be fine and next they can look so sorry. This time round they all seem very happy in my garden. Must be the correct potting mixture.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...