Friday, August 10, 2012

The Bat Knight Rises - Combat with Twig-worms


The GRACIOUS HOST
I adore the flowers of Quisqualis indica with its light fruity fragrance. Thus a few Q. indica vines can be seen twining itself up in my garden. 
A fully matured Quisqualis indica vine reaching up to the balcony. This is the 'Mother vine'.
A sucker taken from the 'mother' vine has grown vigorously to scramble more than 20 ft up to embrace the balcony.
 Another sucker has been trained into a young standard with support from the wall. This is its maiden blooming, thus the clusters are considerably smaller.

They flower continously and its fragrance pervades the whole garden, perfuming it. Actually I've always harbour the hope of having a perfumed garden. Towards that end I've planted an array of plants with fragrant blooms.
The single petal variety is more common than ...
the double petal type.
The fragrance of the 'double' is spicer and heavier and could be cloying. I personally prefer that of the 'single'. Both are gorgeous when in full bloom.

THE BATS
This vines are popular hanging-out grounds for various faunas including bats, caterpillars, bees, snails and others. 
While pruning one of the vines, I came across a bat suspended from one of the branches.
When I moved nearer, it turned its head down to scrutinise me with unblinking jet-black eyes. We eyeballed each other for several moments before it decided to take flight.

THE MENACE
It is good gardening practice to prune after every flowering season to encourage new growth and flowering. While clearing out the pruned vines, I came across this stiff and menacing twigworm stretched out immobile along the stem.
It could be trying to "play dead". I turned it over, ...

and it immediately coiled its head part very tightly. After what seemed like an eternity of being in this coiled up position,
it decided to creep forward in this arched position as worms normally do.
It then stretched itself out along another section of the stem, 

and remained rod-stiff for all eternity. As there was no love lost between us, it was swiftly disposed off together with the rest of its ilk. I get goosebumps just looking at it.

Both bat and twig-worms are found on the same plant. I just wonder whether this twig-worm menace can be mitigated by the presence of bats. Hopefully it is not a situation of cozy co-existence.

FRUITS OF LABOUR
Pruned Q. indica flowers are not thrown away but brought indoors for further enjoyment of their wonderful fruity fragrance .
 
A simple arrangement where the blooms are just plonked on a giant clam shell.

TRUE LABOUR
Profusion of blooms means there is work to be done when the show is over. Usually the blooms can last over a week and even  longer if there is no heavy shower. These flowers are not discarded as they make good mulching material.
The aftermath of a shower.
Note: The title of this post is a play on the latest batman movie, 'The Dark Knight Rises' starring Christian Bale and directed by Christopher Nolan.

35 comments:

  1. What an insect! At first I thought that it is a stick, then I saw it in another shape and understood what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually quite creepy. I have to brace myself to shoot it and all the while I have goosebumps.

      Delete
  2. Fine bats! I haven't seen them often...That vine is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The gleaming round eyes make this bat quite adorable. However, most people have an unreasonable fear of bats, probably because of its association with vampires.

      Delete
  3. Your blooms are beautiful... but the bat? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I felt very much the same way though I've 'knighted' it. It's more vampire than batman.

      Delete
  4. The vine is beautiful, but the creatures on it are scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I concur with you totally regarding the creatures.

      Delete
  5. I guess I sometimes forget about the creatures that could be hiding in the garden. I'm surprised that the bat didn't find a darker place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised too. It must have been attracted by the twigworms. It might be 'yikes' to us but probably yummy to bats.

      Delete
  6. Your Quisqualis Indica vine is absolutely beautiful. It just looks like it has a lovely, intoxicating scent. Regarding that bat, he'd/she'd scare me to death! I know us gardeners have to take the good with the bad though. I enjoyed your lovely post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent is light and sweet but not intoxicating or cloying. I don't fancy bats too but actually they are more afraid of us than we are of them. Glad you enjoy the post.

      Delete
  7. This vine is gorgeous with a beautiful scent to go with it. The single flowers are beautiful in their own way, in fact I think more beautiful than the double flowers. It looks like the single flowered plants are bigger climbers while the double flowered plants smaller in size. Having a bat in your garden is good fengshui - 'fook' for prosperity. I am actually scared of bats but you make it look very photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the double petal variety can be as big as the single too. The only difference is that I did not provide it with the proper props. Thanks for the positive message about good fengshui vibes with bats around.

      Delete
  8. I would like to encourage bats. I'm going to look up this plant and see if it will grow in Canada. Your posts are always so beautiful and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. I think it is possible to plant this in Canada because it growth is by suckers and is very aggressive.

      Delete
  9. I had longed before to get this Rangoon Creeper into my garden.
    Still thinking how to get the best of the vine growing in my garden.

    I had seen that worm - I thought it was a moth caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes James do that. I think I've come across your older posts where you mentioned about passing the vine to your mum to care for. This time try planting it as a standard.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful flora and fauna! Love plants/flowers/vines that smell nice. Love the photos, especially of the bat and twigworm, what an incredible animal the bat is, with those black marble eyes.. and the twigworm, my mind says cute, but my heart says jeepers creepers - keep it away from me, strange I know but I'm scared of caterpillars, especially ones that size..ewww! I'm trying to think of Slimey from Sesame street, but your one still gives me shivers. Thank you for the nightmare, Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the nightmare. I myself have to suppress my fear in order to shoot the little stiff thingy. It looked evil somehow. Once, one nearly dropped on my head. I got the fright of my life :O

      Delete
  11. Quisqualis indica is so beautiful. And your resident bat is quite handsome. I love bats. I've never found one resting in the garden, but we see them flying through every evening at twilight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quisqualis vine is beautiful, Yes, but the bat is handsome?? Okay, okay, so on behalf of the tenant, I shall thank you for the compliments. Looks like you have a penchant for dark, mysterious strangers ;O)

      Delete
  12. Cudownie musi wyglądać ściana domu z pięknym, kwitnącym pnączem i do tego pachnącym. Nietoperz ma śliczne duże oczy, a gąsienica jest ciekawa w kształcie. Pozdrawiam.
    Wall should look wonderful home with a beautiful, blooming climber and the fragrant. The bat has a beautiful large eyes, a caterpillar is interesting in shape. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew the bat's eye look so round and black until I shot this close-up. I think this worm will not metamophosize into a butterfly.

      Delete
  13. Goodness! If I'd seen that Twig Worm I would have run for the hills. Don't want to find them while pruning...eek!
    Beautiful plants though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a creepy crawlie thing. My initial reaction was to take flight but the thought of photo opportunities changed my whole perception of the siuation :)

      Delete
  14. What beautiful photos. Especially like the ones of the bat. How nice to have it pose for a photo.
    Lovely vine, not so keen on the twigworm though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think it barely tolerated me as I was pointing the camera nearer and nearer. It took off immediately after I turned my back.

      Delete
  15. Ah yes, dark, mysterious strangers! ;~O

    I seriously do like bats, and think they're very cute. They are so important to the environment too. Besides helping to keep insect populations under control, they are very important pollinators. I think they are fascinating creatures, and I really do think your bat is handsome. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you enjoyed watching Batman and Christian Bale ;)

      Delete
  16. Lovely buds, inflorescence, flower arrangement, and fallen petals, .... flowers entertain us with their charms from beginning till end. Climbing-type plant make wonderful wall decoration. The bat has charming eyes.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find the post interesting all the way. The vines are at its best when the flowers are in full bloom during the hot dry spells.

      Delete
  17. Ack...I would have freaked if I saw the bat. But then, I would have grabbed my camera and pretended to be brave. Lol...great close up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always thought that its a pity to plant a vine for years and then to have it chopped down. If only they have been planted as a single trunk, then this would not have to happen. I have vines as old as twenty years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know that you are a consummate photographer and you would not miss this opportunity if you were in my shoes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...