Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Strophantus gratus - Rose Allamanda

This is a liana which I have trimmed to a shrub form. The flowers of this vine are bell-shaped (campanulate) with the petals splayed out flat from the tubular section.


Ten deep pink fingerlike projections extend from the flower center.

 
The pastel pink flowers have a mild pleasant fragrance.

After a few days, the pink hue fades while the finger-like projections turn burgundy or maroon. The pink throat turn to burgundy too.

Overtime, the flowers assume a light cream pallor, while the ten projections appear to be cafe au lait in colour.

Though the flower has passed its prime, but it still look majestically glorious with a crown-like structure in the centre.

The flowers are presented in a type of inflorescence called an umbel.

The flower petals just before unfurling appear thick and succulent.

The leaves are glossy and smooth and drip a watery milky sap if broken.

 
It is said that the its seeds are highly toxic and thus used extensively in the preparation of arrow poison by certain tribes.

The ten pink fingerlike projections that extend from the flower center is emulated in the design of my 'Mad Hatter' teapot.



13 comments:

  1. You have this plant also? Wow I am amazed! Stilleto you have a garden full of very lovely blooms. Always enjoy stopping by your wonderful garden. Have a pleasant evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact this is cultivated from a cutting that I took from the original plant that I planted 10 years ago. When I moved into the new house in the Klang Valley, I made copies of all the plants that I had, to be planted here.

      You are most welcome to visit. I enjoyed your visits too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elsie, those photos are amazing, i held my breath! I am not sure if i have already seen that plant, how tall is it? I love the macro shots, but what is more awesome is the comparison with that pot. I am impressed with your analogy for details, but who knows the artist might have really used it as the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words.

      Its actually a vine which turns woody over time. As with most plants, I cultivate mine as 6-7'standards. The new shoots/lianas sprout from this height to about 10-12'.

      I was struck by the similarity of the crown and the central piece-de-resistance of the bloom. Is it Life imitating Art or Art imitating Life?

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a shape! This Allamanda is beautiful, Elsie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadezda. With the crown in the centre, it looks quite unusual. Actually it is not a true Allamanda.

      Delete
  4. So lovely pink colors! The raindrops make the flowers look more fantastic. The comparison is interesting. Do you call the teapot Rose Allamanda pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water droplets never fail to give flowers an enchanted look. The teapot was inspired by the Mad Hatter's teapot as in the tale of 'Alive in Wonderland'. I simply love the story.

      Delete
  5. wow..
    It truly exotic.
    You are really brave and strong hearted to dare to have a poisonous beauty in your garden.
    I totally salute you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, like many others, I have lots of poisonous plants in my garden, only that they are blissfully unaware.

      Delete
  6. This flowers and the way you captured it are breathtaking. Thank you for sharing Elsie.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marijke. Have a wonderful day basking in the autumn splendour.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...