Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Macarthur Palm - Asian Glossy Starlings and the Big Feast

I have several clumps of Ptychosperma macarthurii (Macarthur Palm) planted some 2 decades ago. Once the palms are matured, they bore fruits continuosly, thus spawning many seedlings all over the garden. I've potted some of these seedlings and they are now tall matured palms, which I used as indoors and on my rooftop garden.
 
Bunches of fruits at various state of maturity - green, yellow, orange and red. The bunch on the left has newly formed green fruits and ...

 
tiny white flowers. 

 I was admiring the bunches of red fruits when suddenly I heard a cacophony of cackles 
 

It turned out to be raucous party of a flock of Asian Glossy Starling (Perling Mata Merah in Malay) on the tree tops of the Macarthur Palms.

They were busy polishing off the fruits.



Only the ripe red fruits were selected. With eyes intent, they pecked the fruits off the stalks. Their red eyes match the red fruits perfectly.


The sole black one is male while the rest with mottled black and white colouring on underparts are female.



In between harvesting the fruits, their alert eyes took in the surroundings and just as suddenly ... 

they flew off in a flurry of blurred feathers.

This one calmly stay put and did not follow its herd instinct. 
 
Instead it took its time to select the fruits, turning its head this way and that way to scrutinise them for the most choice fruits. 

The selected fruit was gobbled up with much gusto.

Some remnants of the fruit pulp is visible in between its beak.  

The selection and feasting process went on for quite a while. Its apetite seemed to be bottomless.


Moments later several male Starlings returned to continue feasting. 


Later some flew off to perch on power cables and concrete poles.


An earlier stage where golden fruits were flaunted.


Within the same bunch, fruits ripen at different times, giving rise to an attractive mix of red and yellow fruits.


Macarthur Palm, fruits and bamboo fronds.

 
Late in the evening, the silhouetted palm fronds swayed gracefully in the gentle breeze.

26 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo's. So much fruit for the birds. I like theire red eyes.
    Have a wonderful day Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red eyes are like rubies against the black feathers, though they can look a tad sinister. A wonderful day to you too.

      Delete
  2. Such lovely photos of both starlings and plant! Together the effect is stunning!!
    Hope you are. well, as you haven't posted for a while!
    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I have been posting regularly at the rate of about once a fortnight except fot the last post on Strophantus which was around for about a month. I was away in Cork for about 2 weeks and just about got over my jetlag, having resuming work today.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful birds. They have many berries to eat... Happy Wednesday, Stiletto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more than enough for a few flocks and many left over to populate my garden with its seedlings. A Happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  4. Ślicznie wyglądają ptaki na drzewie jedzące owoce palmy w kolorze podobnym do koloru ich oczu. Bardzo ładne i ciekawe zdjęcia. Pozdrawiam.
    They look cute birds on the tree-eating fruit palm trees in a color similar to the color of their eyes. Very nice and interesting images. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giga. I don't know whether it is by coincidence that they match the berries and fruits to eat with the colour of their eyes.

      Delete
  5. It was truly a time piece captured with excellence and beauty.
    I really enjoyed the moment you shared here.
    I really didn't know these birds fed on these palms.
    I'm sure its going to get propagated wherever it deposit the seeds when it gets out of the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James for being so appreciative. I've lots of seedlings in my garden, most of which have been culled. I've kept some and they have turned into nice specimens for indoors or patios.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures. I love the Starlings' red eyes! The bougainvillea intertwined with the palms makes me feel warm on a cold, damp Scottish day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I love their eyes too as they remind me of rubies, one of my favourite gems. I've just got back from Cork and the weather was turning cold by the time I departed. Nights out are particularly chilling.

      Delete
  7. Elsie, you've taken great photos. Interestingly how starlings eat fruit and look around. Macarthur Palm is nice tree with colorful fruit!
    have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadezda. I think the Starlings look around while feeding as they are awared that they were partaking of my food without permission. They look like a bunch of bandits! haha.

      Delete
  8. Wow those red-eyed birds really know how to take care of themselves! So much food/fruits haha... I am sure they are happy after that. Stiletto, your rangoon creeper (and nong nooch?) is amazing (in the banner today)! I love how they trail down the balcony. You did an amazing job!

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see, they are not absolutely not elegant diners and they make a dinout of their feasting.

      As for the rangoon creeper and nong nooch vine, all I did, was to tie the ends to the balcony and they did the rest by flaunting shamelessly :)

      Delete
  9. how in the world do they swallow them..haha and I love that their eyes are the same color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they just gobbled them up and they definitely must have a very strong digestive system!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic photos ... what striking red eyes they have !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your remark remind me of the tale, "Little Red Riding Hood"

      Delete
  11. The photos are such so amazing! What a contrast colour bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malar. The birds have blood-shot eyes. It looks as if they had consumed over-ripe, fermented fruits.

      Delete

  12. It’s no wonder why there are so many visitors to your garden. The birds have the eyes of the same color with the fruits.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like there is an epidemic of avian conjuntivitis among this flock of birds.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks! Its a big fat feast with much surplus, so seeds will fall and spawn numerous seedlings.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...