Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Crouching Spider Unsuspecting Ant

Crouching Spider Unsuspecting Ant
Costus Woodsonii (Dwarf French Kiss)
This predator, a small species of spider with interesting markings got the whole congregation of ants running helter skelter. I would thought that the whole pack with their sharp mouth-pieces could easily make mince meat out of this arachnid.
Sending the smoke signals to flee

Running helter skelter in a mad scramble to safety
Keeping the family together


This arachnid was later found under a palm frond indulging on his latest largesse - a fly. This eight-legged fella took some time to finish his meal. He ran all over the the frond with his precious meal when I try to photo-shoot him in his murderous act.

He devoured his unfortunate victim with much relish

When the first group of ants have their fill of nectar (around 1 week), another tribe of ants; darker, more stout and with shorter legs took over.

This group of black ants are not complaining of getting left-over food.


These ants appear more communal and keep close to each other, sort of in the same latitude


4 comments:

  1. Hey! That is really a war drama you have captured here.
    I would certainly sprayed and killed the whole army - don't think I can handle red ants - they are fierce!

    Thanks for dropping by my garden. You got a nice blog, will check out more of all your write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! thanks for kind remarks. I stumbled on your blog when I googled for information on some flowers. You have an interesting blog and you are certainly an avid gardener.

    Didn't know those were red ants. No wonder the second wave of ants did not make their appearance earlier. Btw I hardly use pesticide and fungicide in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are few types of ants, some are good but most are bad.
    They bring in alphids and farm them on plants.

    Often I use organic pesticide made from basic kitchen material as they will not be toxic but the result is only effective for a day.
    They come back again & again.

    So much so, I use a commercial pesticide - I had used it only once, months ago and all the pest are gone without a trace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip. If I spot aphids, which I absolutely detest, I will amputate the infested part. this way i avoid the use of any pesticide. If I do not wish to sacrifice parts of plants, I wipe the aphids off with a damp cloth.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...