Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Ladybirds on Mexican Sword Plant

From my observation, Ladybirds that come visiting to my garden come in four patterns on their hard cuticles. There could probably be many other types. The Mexican Sword Plant (Echinodorus palaefolius) is one of their favourite destinations as aphids love to congregate there too.


This type go for minimalism aka 'Plain Jane'.




Another type jazzes up its coat with some circular markings which can vary in numbers. This one has 10 polka dots.



Here's another lady bug with a stripy design instead of the discrete spots, giving the appearance of a red zebra of the ladybird world.


Yet another species did not want to stay mainstream and had stripes which join up forming a net like pattern or a red tortoise shell.


AFTER A HEAVY SHOWER
Several ladybugs were washed down into the murky waters. Some were saved in time but there were some that drowned. I saw a few struggling on the surface of the water and picked them up. 

This one was flailing in the water on the same spot. As it did not make any progress to the plant. I lifted it up and ...


placed it on the surface of the leaf. After a while, it started to walk along the edge of a leaf.


They love to walk precariously on the leaf margin, so its no wonder that they easily toppled over into the water. It is strange for this mishap to occur as  they are perfectly capable of flight.

The ladybugs seemed to be voracious eaters as by the next day almost all the aphids were gone.

After the feast, it was time for some tomfoolery. As it is conjugation of plain and spotted, I wonder how the offspring will turn out to be; probably one with fewer spots.


A puny little snail came out to explore the world too.


A budding flower stalk.


Cascading flowers of the Echinodorus palaefolius (Mexican Sword Plant).


The tall Bucida tree nearby was reflected on a water drop.



16 comments:

  1. I too have noticed the different range of spots etc on a ladybird, but never seen one without any at all. May be they are like people with our different skin colours and hair. Recently I have been noticing some yellow ladybirds too with black spots.
    I have just looked the ladybird up on Google, and my theory goes out the window. Apparently there are 3500 species of ladybird around the world, and we have 46 of them in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like you too and I was absolutely blown off when I discovered that there were so many species out there. I saw many other varieties on some blogs that I've never seen before. I've seen some yellow ones without spots but they seem difficult to photograph as they flew off before I could do anything.

      Delete
  2. All the photo's look great. Beautiful. Last week I've captured one type of ladybird which I never seen before in my gardenyard. She look so different and rare. Thank you for sharing this information and now I noticed she was 'Plain Jane'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Normala. I'm glad that you are as delighted as myself with these dainty little bugs.
      Btw, I called her 'Plain Jane' for want of a better description : ) I was too 'malas' to check them out.

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking all along what is a Mexican sword plant, am glad at the end i am familiar with it. You are fortunate to have these ladybeetles! We have them too but very few, so a lot of aphids are really feasting unabashedly on our plants. I hope we get more of them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have a very strong antenna and communication system. I'm wondering how they know these aphids are around. The moment I noticed the presence of aphids, I'll see ladybugs not long after.

      Delete
  4. We gardeners do love our ladybirds! Thank goodness for them and for your great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and they do wonders in mopping up those pesky pests that are a bane to us, gardeners.

      Delete
  5. I love your new header picture of the bat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha you are around!
      This bat is a permanent tenant of my Rangoon creeper (quisqalis indica) and we always picture them hanging upside down in caves..

      Delete
  6. The bad from your garden?

    Anyway I never really realize of many type / stipe of lady bug before! You have snap very beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, almost like my pet bat. It started with two, then later, there was a small one, making three!

      Actually they were so tiny, I didn't realise that they were different.

      Delete
  7. Elsia, what a nice header!
    Interesting ladybird. I did not know that they can be with spots and without. The first photos are wonderful, the ladybird seems a toy, bright and cute! Fortunately you saved it off the water, poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just like humans; different creed, colours and persuasions. This makes the world more interesting with its diversity.

      I saw so many drowned as they got washed down with the heavy downpour, making it so compelling to save as many as possible.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos! I try to look out for ladybirds in my garden too, and help them back to my roses and lilies whenever they are ‘lost’, so they can munch as many aphids as possible! Incidentally, there have been many more ladybirds this year than I have ever seen, perhaps because of the mild, frost-free winter we have had at least here in London, it should soon help with the aphid population which is also huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene. Mother Nature has such wonderful mechanism for check and balances. With the help of these cute little bugs, your roses and lillies should have a wonderful summer.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...