Friday, December 13, 2013

Happenings on the Lawn

 My lawn has many stories to tell.

A Teeny Weeny Baby Toad

Normally toads are not favourites in the looks department. They look slimy and covered with warts. The way it moves around does not help its image too. It has an ungainly gait consisting of a series of jumps and squats. Nature works in unexpected ways and does not apportion 'looks' in equal quantities to all creatures. Again, this is very subjective as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It was a tiny little thing on the lawn looking like a scrap of dried leaf. 
 
 
I stooped to scoop it up only to realise that it was only a babe. Though a babe, warts were already apparent. Its back was liberally studded with them.

However, when I closely eyeballed this little toady babe, I forgot all about its warts and all. If eyes could melt hearts, this pair would win hands down.  Round eyes follow me or my camera as I move into different positions to get at the best angle.  

It stayed very still as I went clicking away. A stalk of grass flower just by the left eye complete the perfect pose. 


It looked a little scared and forlorn, left all alone to fend for itself. My maternal instinct almost made me want to scoop it up and mother it. When I came back after pausing to adjust the camera settings, it was nowhere to be seen.



The Pernicious Weeds
These pernicious weeds thrive freely in my garden. Many, many hours were spent rooting them out. I have to admit that we are the losers in this tussle for territorial turf.



Some of the weeds bear tiny delicate flowers that are beautiful but still not welcome to my lawn.
ID provided by James Missier: Lindernia crustacea (Malaysian False Pimpernel)

 
 Conyza canadensis (Canadian horseweed)

 

The flower heads of the Mimosa pudica (Touch-me-not, sleepyheads) are lovely with the lavender filaments looking like Medussa of Greek mythology. 

 
 
Tridax procumbens (coat buttons, tridax daisy). I brand this as our local Dandelions. With such effective dispersal of seeds, I'm afraid we are losing the battle for the lawn.


The Solitary Mushroom or Toadstool

Pristine toadstools made a sudden appearance almost right after a heavy shower.



Butterflies alight on grass too and play a role in pollination and seed dispersal.


Birds are frequent visitors to the lawn particularly when the grass is freshly mowed. They gather grass seeds, worms and tiny morsels of food. 

 
Sparrows
   
 
 Mynahs

Zebra dove


Snails crawled out at night and  have a field day scavenging colourful food to munch on.


Tasha is always the princess of the lawn. She scampers and fly down the lawn leaving paw marks and uprooting tufts of grass. I generally frown on her flights of light headedness but she gave nary a care.



20 comments:

  1. Hi Elsie! Love your story line, as always. Your weeds are pretty and those shots were great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ash, great to hear from you again after a long hiatus. The weeds look pretty and innocent in photos, but I have been gnashing my teeth everytime I see them. They are like cancer cells, spreading their tentacles covertly all over my lawn.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean.
      Sad to say...the only way to get rid of it is to uproot each and everyone of them :(

      Delete
  2. The baby toad does look very apprehensive - the world must be a very large habitat to such a small creature. His eyes are wonderful - deep black pools surrounded by glistening gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you describe his eyes. They do melt the heart, but not the warts and the slime.There's definitely no kissing this frog despite its endearing eyes :)

      Delete
  3. What an interesting lawn you have!! I love the small flowers that are found in lawns. The beauty of macro is being able to see the details that may otherwise be missed. If those flowers were larger then everyone would want them in their gardens. It is amazing to see Mimosa as a lawn weed! The Coat Buttons remind me of St Lucia. The first time I had seen it and it was attracting three different kinds of butterflies on my first day there. Strangely, although I regularly checked the same patch I didn't see any butterflies on it again on our holiday!
    It's lovely to think that there are butterflies still flying in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you mentioned about the miniature flowers is true. So, actually size does matter here.

      Once when I was browsing online and came across Mimosa being planted in a pot as a curiosity! I was very surprised as this is considered as one of the most obnoxious weeds around. However a large patch of coat buttons can appear beautiful when the flowers bloom and sway in the breeze.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I had a look on Wikipedia to see which Grass Blue butterflies occur in Malaysia, and I am now assuming that the butterfly you have photographed is the Lesser Grass Blue. What amazed me was that it lists almost 1,200 species of butterflies for Malaysia. What a paradise!!

      Delete
    4. You have a curious mind! There are so many variations of this butterfly that I've given up checking it out. Its mindboggling as they all look so similar. I've once identified it as Pygmy Grass Blue (Zizula hylax pygmaea). Now. I'm not sure at all.

      Delete
  4. I love that tiny pink puff great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too. Its a pity theMimosa flower heads are small otherwise they would be great beauties just as what Nick has mentioned.

      Delete
  5. Your toad is very handsome. I was waiting for the part where you kiss him and he becomes a prince. Even your weeds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handsome! To be fair, I love its eyes but not its warty skin, so definitely no kissing. I'm not about to risk inheriting those warts.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely shot of the frog, i wonder why it didn't jump while you are so close shooting. That mimosa is diplotricha, not pudica. It is very invasive and hated by everybody who happens to be stung by those thorns! And one cannot enter an area invaded by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He might be posing for me as a courtesy for allowing him to be a tenant in my garden.

      I've checked and rechecked and I still think that it is M. pudica and not M. diplotricha. The stem of the former is round, maroon interspersed with thorns at greater distance apart. It is also creeping and does not grow upright. The latter is also commonly found by roadsides in Malaysia and can be quite tall, with more thorns on angled yellow-green stems.

      Delete
  7. Your lawn is really happening place! Your dog look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha looks cute now, but not when she scampers around and send my turf flying.

      Delete
  8. That bell shaped weed is truly a native here.
    Its known as Malaysian False Pimpernel (Lindernia crustacea)
    Interesting isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I've checked it out and it does look similar.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...