Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sansevieria trifasciata- Mother-in-law's Tongue

Sansevieria trifasciata, commonly known as Mother-in-law's Tongue or simply MIL is a popular houseplant. Its thick succulent leaves can withstand prolong period of drought.

MIL leaf blades against a background of Philodendron Imbe


Whether planted in the ground or in a container, MIL thrives happily. Sometimes they revert to a form where the yellow edge is not present as seen in the single clump in front.


A Pygmy Grass Blue (Zizula hylax pygmaea), with shreded wings perched on the tip of a blade. 


 Sometimes the leaf blades lose its yellow margins as in this particular one.


A pair of sparrows attempted to get in between the succulent leaves for reasons still unknown to me. Are they getting into a tryst or attempting to build a nest?

Crossing borders from sharp leaf blade to leaf blade was not an issue at all.


This is the dwarf version with the leaf blades arranged in a rosette. I cheekily gave it the moniker, 'Daughter-in-law's tongue'.


This is the plain Jane, "Daughter-in-law's tongue' with no yellow stripes.


These Daughter-in-law's tongue are used as landscape plants with an ixora hedge at the back.

It is my favourite indoor plant as it can stand neglect. This is placed on the first floor landing where it can get sunlight streaming in from the staircase window.


This pot of MIL's Tongue has being at the same spot on the staircase landing for around 3 years and badly needs to be repotted and spruced up.


Tasha likes to scamper up the staircase ahead of me and turn back to watch my slower ascent. I have to find a way to indicate to her that there's no competition, as I do not wish to fracture any bones in my body.


17 comments:

  1. So interesting to see a plant that is only grown indoors here thriving in your garden. That is interesting behaviour by the sparrows. I can't imagine what they are doing. I wouldn't have thought that they are looking for insects, as they eat mainly grain. I wonder if they are getting something off the leaves that help waterproof their feathers. A bit far-fetched, but I can't think what else they could be doing!! Great to see a butterfly too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, being a bit of a butterfly geek, I thought I would see if I could identify your butterfly. Do you think it is one of your wee pals, a Plains Cupid?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too. May you have an eventful year ahead with lots of positive and exciting happenings.

      Delete
  3. Elsie, surprisingly we call this plant the same Mother-in-law's Tongue, as it's sharp and long!
    But another variety without yellow stripes we do not call as "Daughter-in-law's tongue" I don't know. Tour Tasha is cute!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Daughter-in-law's tongue was given in jest! Anyway one day it will grow and age to be MIL too!
      We are always amused when she peek at us from the top of the staircase. She's both silly and cute :)

      Wishing you a rousing New Year!

      Delete
  4. Sansevierias are a favorite house plant of mine as well because I neglect my house plants and these can take that treatment and not die. Tasha is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally concur with you on how MIL's tongue can take lots of neglect and abuse.

      Tasha can be willful but totally adorable.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you Stiletto. Mother-in-law's tongue is a great plant in form, color(s) and its ability to withstand all types of neglect. I love the cheeky name you gave the smaller version - daughter-in-law's tongue. That Tasha is always a cutie! Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A belated "Happy New Year" to you. To be fair, not all MIL are bad and some DIL are equally bad. Tasha is a cute, sensitive and responsive doggie.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Elsie!
    I thought the "DIL" is cute..surely want that in my home too :)
    You know, I've always wondered who nicknamed this plant MIL's tongue! Not fair, don't you think? After all, we will be MIL one day and what a way to describe us..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Happy New Year" to you Ash. May you be blessed with good health. I hope to be a good MIL one day and also expect to have good DILs. I used to have lots of DIL, but its population has almost been decimated through neglect and a busy lifestyle.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year Stiletto ElsieXie! How the new year so far? I like that yellow striped MIL! My dwarf type is the plain Jane type :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Stephanie. My New Year was really hectic as I was overseas on a mission. One day I would like to pass some of my dwarf DIL to you and others who want them.

      Delete
  8. Its nice to see the sanservieria species this time around.
    They truly make nice pictures together with the fauna - somehow you truly had found the time and patience to incorp. both of them in your pictures.
    Something that I find that getting them together in snapshots a great challenge in my garden.
    They flutter and fly away everytime I arm myself with a camera in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James. Its great to know that there are many out there who appreciate simple plants such as MIL.

      It looks like when ever you are on a mission to capture them with your camera, you have to move noiselessly and slowly like the pink panther :) Any sudden movement will alarm them. Also it helps to wear something that is not bright.

      Actually I do not have to wait long as the fauna are out there in the garden all the time.

      Delete
  9. I have had flowering ones. Love your photos... and your blog is just delicious with info and beauty

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...