Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Tree of Life - Featuring Atlas Moth, Butterfly, Birds and A Bee-Hive

Atlas moth (Attacus atlas) are considered one of the largest moths in the world. They are probably named after their map-like wing patterns. Atlas moths are maroon in color with geometrical translucent patches outlined in black on both forewing and hindwings.


I first saw this moth hanging from a shade tree which was planted along the road, outside my house. Besides providing a cool presence, many critters love to perch on it.

Dorsal surface of the Atlas Moth 

Its upper distal extension of the forewing bears a strong resemblance to a snake's head. This is possibly to mimic the image of a snake as a means of defense. Its large size would mean that it is an easy target for predators to spot.


The ventral surface

The Atlas moth body is covered with stiff hairs which probably is part of its defence.


Common Mormon Butterfly (Papilio polytes) also seek out this tree for rest and respite. Their delicate legs resting ever so lightly  on the leaf surface.

The female Common Mormon Butterfly (Papilio polytes) has brown-black banded forewings. On the hindwings are attractive patches of red and white ...


edged by red crescents on the scalloped edge of hind wings.




Where the butterflies go, birds make a presence. Yellow Vented Bulbuls (Pycnonotus goiavier), Olive-backed Sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis) and other birds are frequent visitors.

 
  A Yellow Vented Bulbul

 
A curious and restless Olive-backed Sunbird.


This bee-hive is a focus of activity of the honey-bees. I'm wondering when I can start harvesting the honey. Would I get stung while doing it. It seems like an impossible job.

The Tree-of-Life is fronted by this variegated Bougaianvillea.


A row of trees highlighted by the late afternoon sunrays streaming in from the west.




20 comments:

  1. Motyl z pierwszego zdjęcia jest nie tylko duży, ale i śliczny. Drugi zresztą też. Uwielbiam bugenwiilę. A roju pszczół w ogrodzie chyba bym się bała. Pozdrawiam.
    Butterfly of the first image is not only large, but also beautiful. Second, moreover, too. I love bougainvillea. A swarm of bees in the garden unless I was afraid. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Atlas moth was larger than the size of my outstretched palm - really impressive. I left it there so that I can observe the activities of the hive.

      Delete
  2. what grand shots of that moth!! the sunbird sure is a beauty...and I also had a wild hive...but if you harvest they will probably move.....I knocked mine all down so you must only knock off a small piece...you need lots of smoke and cover yourself from head to toe with sheer scrf over your hat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually the management office send men to dismantle the hive as stray bees were visiting worried neighbours.

      Delete
  3. Personally I do not like moths. Those in the pictures are beautiful. Flowers from you and me going in winter, greet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that moths, butterflies, birds and other critters in my garden are my natural tree ornaments.

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures as ever. They look so bright and Bougainvillea always makes me feel warm! That's an amazing moth and obviously I love the Common Mormon! It's great to see butterflies again! You are braver than me if you try to get any honey from those bees! Is that actually a nest? The bees here will have their nests in hives or hollow trees. Occasionally a new queen will break away from the colony and then many of the other bees will swarm away after her. They say that they don't sting when they are swarming like that, but I wouldn't want to test the theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even begin to think of harvesting the honey as there is too much at risk. We have tried smoking out the bees out with other nests but we found angry bees swarming around which can be rather intimidating. There is actually a hive under all those buzzing bees.

      Delete
  5. I was searching what your topic 'tree of life' is called, there's none! However, the lives there are like our own, but the atlas moth we always see when we were young are seldom seen now. I haven't seen it in 2 decades, but my nephew and niece said they saw it last year at home, just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see it in an urban setting.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed unique fauna and flora to your place as always. The moth is so big and beautiful and the color of Olive-backed sunbird is impressive. I think not only harvesting honey (unprepared) but also just having that big beehive in the garden is dangerous. No? Take care.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee hives seems to be following me wherever I put down roots. The other day while I was weeding in my new home, I saw a big bee hive too.

      Delete
  7. Elsie, it's truly tree-of-life! The life is running there, lovely butterflies and moth with hair (!!) also birds. But bees --oh, my! I'm afraid of so lots of them together. I think to harvest honey is impossible, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tree seems to attract a diverse range of critters. There were many lost opportunities for photography. The bees were actually quite harmless if you let them be. I was practically standing under the hive with no fear.

      Delete
  8. Lovely butterflies and moth as well as birds! You have such a big and critter friendly garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that its a veritable jungle out there, haha. Mind you its in an urban setting.

      Delete
  9. I never knew that the wings of these moth resemblance a snake head until you mentioned it.
    And those bees certainly can scare a lot of people away...
    But I really wished that those honey can be harvested instead of going to total waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we have to look hard to discern the head of a snake, I wonder whether other critters could be so easily fooled.

      Looking at the honey from the bees'point of view, I'm sure they need it for their own purpose, otherwise they won't take the trouble of producing it. Human's loss but the bees'gain :)

      Delete
    2. There's an interesting thought. Over here bees use the honey to see the colony through the winter when there are no flowering plants available. I suppose that in cold weather they don't require much, but I wonder if hives in colder climates contain more honey than they do with you where there will be flowers available all year round?

      Delete
    3. Logically speaking, there should be more honey in the hives located in warmer climates as bees would still be buzzing around and stay productive. I don't think its a good idea to check this out as I would be outnumbered by the denizens of the hive, haha. Come to think of it, if we smoke them out and take their honey, isn't this tantamount to robbing them.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...