Monday, May 27, 2013

The Sunbird Thief and the Denuded Stake

The Olive-backed Sunbird (Nectarina jugularis) or Kelichap Bukit in Malay are very bold birds that freely build nests in my garden. One day while photographing some flowers I heard rustlings nearby. As I moved towards the source of the sound, I discovered the mystery of my denuded plastic stake used as a support for the Philodendron Imbe. The covering of coconut fibres was frayed.
 
A female sunbird was so absorbed at plucking the fibres that she was totally oblivious of my presence. In fact I was only about eight feet away from her. The upperpart is dull olive-green while the underpart is all yellow.


With flapping wings, it jerked some fibres out of the stake with ...


its long, slender, decurved bill.

It then flew off and

 

landed on another part of the stake.



to tug at more fibres.

After more inspection and pecking, it flew off.  I suspect that it would come back later to pick up the fibres that it dropped.


 These unstaked Philodendron Imbe simply just sprawled invasively all over the flower bed, killing off the competition from other flowering plants.

 
The male sunbird appeared contented to leave nest-building to the female [as in humans, always so good at multi-tasking ;)]. Here, it's perched on a Thunbergia Grandiflora vine to take in the garden view. 


Thunbergia Grandiflora

 
The forehead, throat and upper breast is metallic blue-black contrasting with bright yellow underparts. The upperpart is dull olive green just like the females. The feet are jet-black.

 
The male Olive-backed Sunbird is more colourful than the female which does not have the metallic blue colouring.

 
The orange-red semi-double Hibiscus rosa sinensis.

This clump of Cyrtostachys renda (Lipstick Palm) form the backdrop for many bird activities. it supports the vine and also provide palm fruits for the bird's consumption


The base of the clump of Lipstick Palm sustains the growth of many Davalia denticulata (Corsage ferns).



26 comments:

  1. What lovely birds ! So delicate ! I thought the female was stupendous, until I saw the male . Lovely photos as usual !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ironical that in the animal kingdom, the males are more colourful whereas with humans, its the females who 'tart' up.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous birds and very resourceful! Your clump of lipstick palms is incredible! Your part of the world has so much brightly colored flora and fauna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these sunbirds are using an easy way out instead of doing the hard work of looking for building materials. They are resourceful at my expense!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Simo, but actually I used telescopic lens but with slightly shaking hands because the lens is heavy.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful, colorful bird. Great pictures! Happy gardening...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha!
    How cute! I would love to have such a garden hosting such precious and magnificent feathered jewels!
    Awesome pictures, Stiletto!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noushka for the compliments though they are no where close to your amazing bird and critter photography.

      Delete
  6. Hello Stiletto!

    Stunning male and female captures of the beautiful Sunbird. How I would love to have such colourful birds in my garden. The Tits in my garden always steal the coco matting from my hanging baskets to make their nests.

    Your Lipstick Palm is gorgeous and I love the colour of the Hibiscus flower:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the photo opportunity provided by its pilfering activities, otherwise I'm not very amused by its antics :]

      At one time this lipstick palm was an ubiquitous feature in almost every garden but in recent years other plants have supplanted it in terms of popularity.

      Delete
  7. At first I thought this bird was going to build a nest in the top of that tube :) Isn't it fun watching them collect and fly away with the materials they need to build their nests? The male Olive-backed Sunbird has colours to rival most hummingbirds, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it wasn't fun for me to see the bald stake. The birds have got to learn not to be destructive. Now my Philodendron Imbe has to contend with fixing its roots to a plastic medium instead of onto the moisture-laden fibres. There are no hummingbirds here which is a pity as I always wanted to capture it hovering over a flower.

      Delete
  8. I thought the same too that it's going to built nest over the tube!! Such a lovely bird. Your garden must be very friendly towards them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my garden is too bird-friendly. They seem to be everywhere. I can hear their tweetering even before 6.00am when it's still dark - crazy birds!

      Delete
  9. I am very familiar with that bird as we always have them even using its hanging nest twice. But i am not good in getting the photos, my lens is short for it, so I am awed with your dexterity. May I know what camera and lens you are using? I wonder if I've already asked you before, i forgot, haha. I am really captivated by the photos. I wish i can also document ours like how you did it. Splendid. And you have a big clump of that red palm. I wasn't able to get back mine when i was still in college, i left it with the boarding house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a Nikon D90 camera with kit lens, a 60mm macro, 300mm telephoto, and a prime lens (portrait. My telephoto is inexpensive but it serve my purpose for the time being.

      I have three clumps of lipstick palms in my compound. I plan to dig out some of the peripheral stems to start new clusters.

      Delete
  10. Such great captures of those beautiful birds! And I love those lipstick palms.. great coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and as for the lipstick palm, the red sheath of the palm frond stays vivid red colour till the leaves are shed.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful paradise!

    Birds are going after our coconut fiber hanging baskets too! I guess the stuff makes a nice nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Building materials, so readily available to them. I think their lives must be so idyllic. So, modern conveniences have reached them too.

      Delete
  12. Great report of birds nest-building with fabulous photos, Stiletto. Both flora and fauna in your part of the world is so colorful: they are spice to eyes. In this post, I prefer the muted colored female sunbird, who is tirelessly concentrating on nest construction, to idle male one. She's so cute.

    I’ve seen a TV documentary that Japanese Jungle Crows steal wire coat hangers from homes as nest-building materials.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yoko. The male seems to be a MCP (male chauvinistic pig) for allowing the female to do all the hard work while he idled away the time.

      Delete
  13. You really manage to get upclose & personal with these birds. These sunbirds do visit my garden often drinking nectar from Costus Woodsonii - gingerflowers which I had planted just for them.
    I just love it when they visit my garden - when they arrive, they make so much noise and you know that they had invaded as considered the garden as their territory.

    There were many before but their number seemed to be declining. I wished I can do something to increase their population as I really love to see these birds visit my garden often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Costus Woodsonii clumps but I've never seen sunbirds going to them. They might have gone to Alpinia purpurata but I've never caught them in action. They are up as early as 6.00am, waking me up with their noisy chirping. A sure way to lure them is to plant Hibiscus.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...