Saturday, July 6, 2013

Calliandra emarginata_Dwarf Red Powder Puff

This is my 100th post and features the outstanding Calliandra emarginata (Dwarf Red Powder Puff). 

This medium-sized shrub has a dwarf growth habit compared with other species in the family. It can  be easily shaped and pruned, to a manageable size. I trained mine to a height of about 8 feet. It never stops flowering, thus is a must where splashes of red is needed in the garden.

The showiest parts of the flowers are the long, colorful stamens with the distinct pollen at its tips. The name Calliandra comes from the Greek for 'beautiful stamens'. These brilliant red flowers bear a resemblance to exploding fireworks but the texture is more towards a "powder puff" feel. 

These spectacular blooms offer a nice foil to the verdant green foliage. The kidney shaped leaves appear in pairs.

It blooms year round so the plant is always covered with vivid red blooms.


The globular flowers are about to 2 to 3 inches across and appear on short stalks along the branches.

 
The globular cluster of flower buds appear like raspberries.

 
The new and the old - a cluster of flower buds and a spent flower with the frazzled filaments.


Seed pods are bean-like. Propagation is very easy from seeds, with seedlings all over in the vicinity. Cuttings are also possible, but not worth the trouble

The flowers are bee and butterfly magnets, their nectar attracting many winged critters. Young leaves are copper in colour and turn light green over time.


A female worker honeybee (Apis mellifera) was seen here collecting nectar.


It goes from behind the flower towards the base of the filaments.


Bees here are buzily foraging for food, happily obivious of my presence.

24 comments:

  1. I have often admired these shrubs for their bright red flowers.The ones I've seen grow into huge trees, and do well by the seaside.

    The nearest thing I have to this is a Bottle-brush, but I think these are more beautiful. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Australian Bottle Brush too and they are strong bird attractants while the Powder Puffs are irresistible to all types of winged insects. Thanks for the sweet words.

      Delete
  2. Kwiaty są tak piękne i delikatne, ze nie można ich nie podziwiać. Podobaja się nie tylko mnie, ale i pszczołom. Pozdrawiam.
    The flowers are so beautiful and delicate that you can not enjoy them. Like not only me, but also bees. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filaments are silky soft and must be wonderful for the bees to move through.

      Delete
  3. Good job with the pics, especially the ones with the bees... lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for appreciating. I wish I can collect nectar like how the bees do.

      Delete
  4. I love this flower, so spectacular indeed! It's like seeing a bunch of needles got stuck among the branches! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, soft needles then. They are more like powder puffs. I played with them when I was young - fortunately I did not suffer from pollen allergy.

      Delete
  5. The blooms never fail to make my head turn. They do the same the thing to the bees. They are super attractive! Btw, congrats on this 100th post. I look forward for more posts from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. I'm fortunate to have such an enthiusiastic follower in you. Likewise I enjoy reading your interesting blog too.

      Delete
  6. This flower looks like our “nemunoki (sleeping tree), or Albizia julibrissin. The buds, matured flowers, and bean-like seed pods, are the same but leaves are different and the colors I’ve seen is only pink. The splash of the red color among the green must be stunning. I like to see the bees savoring the nectar in your photos. Congratulations on the 100 th post. Keep up the good posting, stiletto.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decades ago, I use to see Albizia julibrissin trees commonly planted in our country. We still see them in older parts of old towns. Thanks stardust for all the support for my blog. It's always nice to read your comments.

      Delete
  7. I love these pictures - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool shrub! I grew up around a similar plant in California known as callistemon or bottle brush plant. Congrats on 100 posts! I'm very glad to have discovered your blog. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Callistemon too which is a great bird attractant. Thanks for the support and appreciation of my blog. Your blog is interesting and generally great.

      Delete
  9. Hi tumit tinggi..
    nicely captured..i like all the photos..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ummu. Congratulations on the new addition to the family - lovely name too. I'm amazed that you can still find time to blog - you are agreat multi-tasker :)

      Delete
  10. I just love this plant! I have one too grown like small tree! Easy to care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malar, not only easy to care but produces lots of progenies.

      Delete
  11. Another spectacular plant from your garden (I think you have all the best ones!) Your description, "red fireworks," is perfect and the buds are just as gorgeous. I'm surprised I haven't seen some sort of hybrid for our climate in the nurseries where I live, hopefully one day in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They appear like fireworks but feel like powder puff.

      Delete
  12. You post so many wonderful plants that are very unusual to those of us living in colder climates. It's such a treat to see these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for appreciating. Some would not care too much as it is not native to their country or simply just can't be planted in colder climes.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...