Thursday, May 1, 2014

Trekking Through Allamandas To Food Haven

I love Allamandas as they are quite resistant to bug infestation. I suppose the white, milky sap has got something to do with the critters and insects' revulsion to it. I'm thankful for this as it allows my Allamandas to bloom and flourish.

Clusters of bright yellow Allamanda cathartica flowers.

 
 
The budding flowers.


I was appreciating how these blooms added to the gaiety of my garden when ...

 
I saw a snail crawled over the tubular part of this bloom without even bothering to sample it. Perhaps it had an inherent sense of which flower is tasty and can be devoured.

The journey which I dubbed as 'the yellow trail' was torturous as it slowly navigated across the flower to reach the nearest leaf.


The nest stage was a purposeful leaf-to-leaf hike as it stretched its foot muscles ...


... towards its coveted sustenance beyond.



It greedily chomped its way across the leaf of  Pseuderanthemum reticulatum.



 My flower bed of Pseuderanthemum reticulatum is often is often laid bare to the gastronomic assault of gastropods.

10 comments:

  1. I have many snails in my garden too! I'm not kind as you anyway....I always throw them out of my garden...... Sometimes I collect about 20++ of them at a time....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I need to declare war on them too. They are slowly colonising my turf!

      Delete
  2. Now is too cold for snails in my garden but very soon they will travel as in your garden looking for food as your wonderful Pseuderanthemum reticulatum! I hate them and step on every snail I see.I'd like to grow Allamanda in my garden if it is hardy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snails don't exactly endear themselves to me but I really can't stand the squashing, so Iet my helper do the dirty job and I don't need to know ;)

      Delete
  3. Yes, your alamanda are so beautiful but like always I'm more interested on the way you captured those creatures, their movement. So beautiful. How lucky you always be in the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Normala. There are so many of them that it is impossible not to come across them at any one time going about their gluttony.

      Delete
  4. Allamandas are one of the most common plants here. They are so easy care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most wonderful because of their ease of care and year-round blooms. The only effort is to stake them upright for better display of the flowers.

      Delete
  5. too bad those white ones wont grow in zone 9 they are pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those white ones with yellow-green leaves grow like weeds too. I selectively plant robust plants for less stressful gardening.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...