Monday, January 20, 2014

I Spotted A 'Spotted Dove'

Spotted doves (Spilopelia chinensis) are known as Tekukur in Malay. They are easy to recognise from the 'white spots on black' patch found on their nape. Their colours are shades of pink-browns with dashes of black on the wings and tails. The lower belly and underside of the tail is light cream in colour. Its presence in the garden is often accompanied by a pleasant crooning.

I spotted this one sitting sedately on ... 
 
a branch of the casuarina tree.

Soon the serene look was broken as it started to preen. It pecked the upper thorax region ...
before it turned to do its back.

Next, it did the left 'armpit' under the wing.

In between, there's time for a pause and some reflection. 


 
Then its time to move away to another spot for some diversion.
After settling on its new niche on this section of the branch, it then cast a bird's eye view on the activities far below this tall tree.

It now focused on the right 'armpit' that was missed out in the earlier preening session.

To indicate the end of preening, a flapping of the wings was executed with flourish.

It then did an about-turn and begin to ...

stride up the branch, back to its original niche.

This is the tall casuarina tree with its multitude branches that are ideal for the birds to perch on - for rest, respite from the heat and safe from predators.

Bougainvillea 'golden glow'

My 'pluck and plonk' floral arrangement - Bougainvillea 'golden glow' with bougies of other hues.


18 comments:

  1. Fantastic captures of this very attractive dove with his spotted coller.
    Have a good week Elsie!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, can be a spotted collar or a neckerchief. Hope you enjoy the week too!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful dove. Does its local name come from its call? I don't think I have seen golden bougainvillea before - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made a correct guess. 'Tekukur' does sound quite close to its cooing.

      I've always viewed this golden bougainvillea as having received the Midas touch.

      Delete
  3. Such aclose up photos! Awesome! I have seen them before in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Malar. You certainly did as this bird is rather common in our Malaysian gardens.

      Delete
  4. Elsie, great photos! I love them all and the most is where the dove is looking at you attentively. I think it seems like having a spotted collar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadezda. I believe the scarf makes it look cool! It has attitude too as can be seen from the way he struts his stuff..

      Delete
  5. Awesome shots Elsie. This dove has just finished 'singing' for me. There's a huge tree next to my bedroom window and there she was cooing away. She was really showing off for you, huh? Cool..and her polka dot cardigan is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash. You are lucky to be blessed with the song of the dove.
      Some perceive the sounds as disturbing but I simply love them, even though sometimes the birds do make a ruckus.

      Delete
  6. Świetne zdjęcia zrobiłaś ciekawemu gołębiowi. Kocham pnącze, które masz w wazonie. Pozdrawiam.
    Great pictures did an interesting pigeon. I love creeper that you have in a vase. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giga. There are two types of Bougies in vase; B. golden glow and B. Mrs Eva. Both are past their peak blooming season and that's why there are different colours on the same cluster.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful dove! I love its spotted collar. We have doves here, too, but without any spots. That bougainvillea is so colorful. Our climate is just too cold for it to survive outside. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bougainvilleas when in full bloom is a wonderful sight. However its thorns can be prickly and annoying when one does some pruning. I hope someone can come out with a thornless cultivar soon.

      Delete
  8. The spotted dove and turtle dove look so similar.
    I just admire your shots..
    they are indeed soo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. Except for some minor differences, both the doves are quite similiar.

      Delete
  9. I love that collar and the pink feet, I wonder if we have that too. I smiled at your way of composing, there is fun. And I love your signature photo at the end, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea.
      I find both these features unique too. I'm sure it is available in the Philippines. Actually most of the time if they perch high up on the tree, I can't really tell which type of dove it is until I look through a long lens.

      I appreciate that you can discern the the nuances in my post, and thus able to enjoy the description. I think you have a good sense of humour too and enjoy the play of words. Thank you for appreciating.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...