Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Night Boarders

We see our garden by day and picture in our mind how it looks but what happens after dark is entirely different. When the critters think that we are not watching, a different scenario sets in. 
Bougainvilla Elizabeth Angus. I have this Bougy E. Angus just outside my doorstep. One night, I ventured into the garden and had a pleasant surprise.
This fledgling settled on this bougy as its night time retreat.
It kept returning every night around 8.00pm for about a fortnight. 

It always chose the same leaf to perch on which is at eye level. With its head tucked into its chest, it was sweet slumber, oblivious to human activities.
A blue skimmer dragonfly (Orthetrum Caledonicum) retired for the night on the unfurled leaf of the epiprenum.


A very tiny Damselfly decided that this pair of frayed blue jeans left to dry in the kitchen was safe sanctuary.


A male Common Mormon (Papilio polytes) appeared blue instead of deep brown when shot at night.



This Mandevilla vine was deemed suitable for night time refuge. It hung precariously on the tip of the leaf.


Mandevilla sanderi 'Red Riding Hood'

 A mottled skipper tinged with orange on the forehead and underside settled on a hibiscus leaf for the night.


Another moth of unknown ID settled on this ...

... Galphimia gracilis or commonly called as 'Rain of Gold' (updated on 9.1.14)

This young bamboo stake provides a high point for this purplish-red dragonfly.


An unidentified critter on Philodendron 'Ceylon Gold'.  

 
A snake coiled up languorously for the night, on the broad leaf of the Alpinia purpurata (Red ginger torch).


A pair of bats make this canopy of Quisqualis indica (Rangoon creeper) their night abode too.

 
This hairy moth took refuge indoors, on the back of my front door. So, good-nite to all and sleep tight.



17 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow!! The pictures just get better and better on this post! First off the Bourgainvilla, then the wee bird! I love the dragon flies, each more colourful than the last one, and of course the butterfly is fantastic. So interesting to know that it roosts with its wings open. I love the specking of light scales on its veins. And I couldn't believe that you have bats in your garden too. What a fantastic sanctuary for wildlife your garden is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words.
      The mottled skipper is actually a moth. Butterflies tend to rest with the wings vertically up while moth have their wings flat down.

      Yes, I must admit that my garden has become rather wild, in part due to slight neglect and also due to unwillingness to do hard pruning.

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! You did it again Elsie! Your garden is a haven for night creatures too without you knowing it. And your night shots are so excellent. Spectacular! I couldn't agree more with what Nick Morgan has to say. Thanks for this beautiful "story" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash and 'blush, blush'.
      It looks like I shall never become lonely at night, haha.
      I'm glad that you enjoy my bedtime stories too ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for showing us the mysterious, wondrous night world of critters. Different lighting creates another world.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outcome of night photography baffles me too. Flash, night lightining and the evening ambient light all acted together and gave a totally different effect.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is a paradise for animals, this wonderful. Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A paradise to the critters but my garden has started to look like a tropical jungle. There was some criticism from my other half, haha.

      Delete
  5. What a delightful post Stiletto! I have never seen a mottled skipper before, there is so much detail in your photo.
    It's amazing how many creatures take refuge for the night in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes we forget that all critters big or small, predators or preys, wild or tame, vicious or cute need their rest and repose for the night too, except for those night-active animals.

      Delete
  6. Cudowny wieczorny spacer. Wszystko podziwiałam, ale węża się wystraszyłam. Pozdrawiam.
    A wonderful evening stroll. All admired, but the snake is scared. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was scared out of my wits too, when I started to reach out to remove what I thought was my brown and yellow Karcher watering hose which is of similar colours.

      Delete
  7. Your garden is really a paradise! Excellent photos! Bat and snakes ??? I'm not brave as you! hahahhaa....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with bats with their eyes of brown soft pools. Snakes are an entirely different story.

      Delete
  8. Elsie, what the great night photos you showed us! I've never seen purplish-red dragonfly it's wonderful!
    I love also the little bird that overnight comes to your garden.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadezda. Its Dawn Dropwing dragonfly and is quite common in my garden. Its a pity the bird did not stay longer than a fortnight. I think he finally got fed up with my night shots and me checking him out every night.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to know that my post/blog can be a source of information to you but, you are in reverse osmosis and bottled water. It would be too expensive to use them and though I might be a plant fanatic, I don't mollycoddle my plants with these waters!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...