Monday, November 11, 2013

Jasminum multiflorum - Star Jasmine

Jasminum multiflorum or Downey Jasmine is a type of evergreen, branching vine that can be shaped as a shrub. The fast-growing plant can grow as high as 10 feet and does well in full sun to partial shade. 

 The white, clustered flowers which appear year-round are white.

 Unlike other jasmines, the fragrance is more subtle.

If allowed to sprawl, the vine will cascade down walls or over fences.

 
The grayish-green stems and leaves of this plant appear to be covered with fine hairs or down.

Young flower buds, still enveloped protectively.


Emerging buds

Some of the flowers have bloomed and dropped off, leaving behind the calyxes.

This stink bug had a field day sucking the juices from tender leaf buds. When disturbed, it emits a very foul odour. It can stay at the same spot for hours, blissfully infusing itself with the sap.

The dried and shrivelled leaves left from the nefarious activities of the stink bug is given a once over by this wasp or bee.

It later held on to the edge of the leaf and peered over.


19 comments:

  1. Hi Elsie,
    It's lovely to see flowers and insects again! It's very cold and grey in Scotland at the moment!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand when you talked about the cold and greyness. During the first two weeks of October this year, I was in Ireland so the chill was bearable, but was biting cold at night.

      Delete
  2. I dont think i had seen this variet before..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen this before until I discovered it at a nursery in Sungai Buloh about 20 years ago. It blooms non stop so it is a pleaser any time of the year.

      Delete
  3. Elsie, we're in fall now with rains and cloudy sky, so it's wonderful looking at such lovely plant! I love the smell of Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not have the four seasons, just the wet and the dry seasons. Flowers bloom year round. When it gets hot and humid, I long for the cool weather.

      Delete
  4. Chciałabym poczuć zapach pięknego jaśminu. Pozdrawiam.
    I'd like to smell the beautiful jasmine. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like the fragrance of jasmine, then you would love jasmine tea as much as I do.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed seeing your garden in the white variety this time.
    And the wasp investigation is truly wonderful - you had managed to capture that in the moment.
    If it was me - that would fly away in a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wasp appeared to be rather inquisitive. Anyway it was too engrossed with the withered leaf buds to pay any attention to me and my approaching lens.

      Delete
  6. I have the Jasminum sambac but no J multiflorum. I also see those insects in our garden, i wonder if that last one is a fruit fly. I am also not good with these insects though. You have nice shots, but i prefer the white balance of the first one, very clean white. You haven't seen my post in my other blog Andrea in this Lifetime. Please look. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Andrea, I feel saddened by this great loss of life and devastation from this calamity of nature. Is this the reason for the subconscious colouring your view of flowers at this time? So glad that everything is fine with you and family.

      Actually I have no idea what this insect is too. I'm hopeless at identifying them.

      Delete
  7. What a pretty flowers! The sting bugs are really terrible pest !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no love lost between us and it is one of the most foul insect when disturbed. You can smell it from a distance. Worst of all is the destruction to the plants.

      Delete
  8. Thanks. Greetings from tropical Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are living in the most beautiful part of the world I think Elsie. I wish I could smell the fragance.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its great here with sunshine and tropical rains year round, only that the humidity can be stultifying at times. We tend to stay indoors with air-conditioning on to escape it, though.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Haha, even the insect world has its very own drama and histronics.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...