Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gerbera - Lure of the Daisies

Gerberas always brighthen any garden. They make very good bedding plants as they are low lying. I have them in many colours and shades. Potted flowering gerberas can be brought indoors to be enjoyed for weeks.

Even then when Tasha was a 2-month-old puppy, she would always patrol the garden and ... 

 
look for a cozy niche amongst the daisies  to ...
chill out. 

She had the leisure of sniffing out the flowers one by one though they are without any discernible fragrance. She also bear witness to ...
the unfolding ...
and the unfurling of the petals over several days.

The saturation of orange hues also marks its maturity...

to full bloom.


  This is a robust homegrown variety, rather resistant to pests and fungal growth. Large clumps are formed in no time which can then be divided.


This yellow petal hybrid has become puny looking where before it has thick luscious petals in many whorls.


This red colour is full bodied in volume formed by the many tiers of petals.

A delightful bouquet of gerberas.
  
Whenever I look at Gerberas, the tune of this little ditty from my childhood days will spontaneously play in my mind ...
"Daisy Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'll look sweet on the seat
Of a bicycle built for two!"

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection you have! Beautiful colours. The little one is oh so cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha now looks very different with a shaggy curly coat.However she is still very curious, hyperactive and a very good guard dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love those Geberas.
    Often thought that they won't be able to survive in my garden.
    When I see yours - I just got mesmerized - they look so healthy and superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be finnicky though. The new hybrid ones are more prone to fungal attacks and pests infestations.

      Delete
  4. Tasha is a adorable. Fun post...love those unfolding flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you can see the lightheartedness of it all. Looking at life through rose-tinted glasses certainly add to our enjoyment of life. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. Your Gerbera daisies are just gorgeous!. I love those blooms too and have a few every summer in pots. You have so many beautiful ones. Thanks for dropping by and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plants are really healthy and beautiful! Mine all dead already, only one pathetic one remaining!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually the new hybrids though very pretty can be problematic. They are prone to fungal growth on the underside of the leaves. One of the signs is a stunted, curled leaf with brownish substance on the underside. Normally, I snipped them off as soon as possible before it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gosh such beautiful Gerberas.I've not been able to grow them very well but then I've bought mine at a big box store which may be the problem!
    Love the unfolding flower, beautiful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the lushness,particularly the new varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As it happens, I'm sending a bouquet of gerberas to my niece tomorrow. They are her favourite flower. I haven't seen the variety with the multiple layers of petals before. Thanks for your recent visit to my blog!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tasha is toooooo cute in the daisies. I saw a picture of her grown up below and she has really changed but is still most cute! Your ballerina dragonfly is splendid. Such great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still remember this song. Daisies reminds me of this song too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Autumn, I think we are of the same vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. I never get tired of hugging and petting her. She always asks for belly rubs and can't get enough of them.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...