Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Gastronomic Adventures of Ladybugs

Ladybugs are cute little critters. I counted eleven spots on this black-spotted on red ladybug. 

It moved clumsily down this leaf blade of Costus Woodsonii. 
With jet-black round eyes placed low down, they seem to be peering over low-rimmed bifocals.

Its stiff feelers are placed horizontally, looking like the top rim of granny spectacles.
 
It seemed to be sniffing the path as it moved along.

As I continued to observe it I realized that it was on a gastronomic trail which was arduous and torturous; up and down from foliage ...
to stem and finally towards...
a large colony of aphids. This should make a good larder adequate for many rainy days.
What a serendipitous discovery. It is like Solomon's mine of epicurean delights. Such good fortune is truly a blessing from Mother Nature. 

In fact by the next day, most of the resident aphids were ravished by this little fella. It saved me the dirty job of being the Terminator.

Costus woodsonii spikes (Dwarf cones ginger) can last for months. They are borne on the tips of canes.
Some cones are taller
whilst others are shorter. The real flowers are the yellow protuberances that sprout sporadically from the bracts.
The bracts open up when the seed pods ripen.
The dehiscence of seed pods release the shiny black seeds which are most probably dispersed by birds. Costus is easily propagated from stem cuttings thus negating the collection of seeds.
This non-spotted lady bug glided down this blade of variegated Dracaena leaf.
It stopped in its track when it came across this hapless teeny weeny bug, in anticipation of a delicious snack.
 
After this light snack, it then cast around to look for more grub and having found none,
continued merrily along its way in search of other scrumptious meals.

18 comments:

  1. I never seen the crocus seeds.
    That is so healthy looking flowers & plants.
    I have mine but they tend to dry up - the flower first and the whole stalk slowly turning yellow.

    Wished I had ladybirds in my garden - they can control all my mealybugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too discovered the existence of seeds by chance. I've delayed snipping off the spent flowers and it thus have a chance to go to seeds which I promptly discarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great photos of the lady bug cafe - they do a wonderful job in the garden. It's amazing that one little lady bug can demolish so many aphids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually later I found that it has a partner, hiding in a leaf crevice. Just the pair of them and they almost devour the whole colony of aphids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable Ladybugs! Great Macro shots! Here in Singapore I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them. They were much more common in my childhood...I think indescriminate insect fogging killed off many populations. Pity, as it's such a useful (& cute!) little creature in the garden..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I still have to improve the focus so that it is more crisp with shallow DOF. Ladybugs are actually very small, so one have to purposely look for them. I've been trying hard to shoot the yellow one. Its rather elusive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish there are more ladybugs in my garden. Your costus plants are very luschious and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Autumn Belle. Costus are actually one of the easiest plant to grow and take a lot of neglect and abuse :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've just covered 2 of my favourites ... ladybugs and Costus woodsonii :)
    I think red spotted ladybugs are reallycute but I haven't found a single one here in Mumbai. I do have the zig-zag ladybugs though.
    As for the Costus, I've been looking out for that ever since I fell in love with them on a trip to Singapore! They look really good in a group, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The costus are really dependable to appear nice in your garden. Other annuals are unpredictable. Factors such as a slight neglect, after a thunder storm or intense heat; and they will not look their best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous pics!! You're right our lady bugs faces do look so different. It's so cool to have another blogger post lady bug pics from half way around the world. Wonderful post...Cheers Julia =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots Stiletto! Love the bug and those red cones. They are too pretty to miss. Happy blogging and gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the ladybug closeups...it was fun to get a glimpse into their life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Stephanie,have to put off blogging for a while. At the moment visiting US and Canada for about 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. Check it out in my latest post. You have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, that's pretty spectacular! you're such a great nature photogrphaer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've actually looked at this post quite a few times, not sure why I haven't commented! These are stunning photos of one of my favorites, ladybugs are wonderful creatures and you've captured them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a pretty plant...and a cute frog, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...