Saturday, May 31, 2014

Preening Bulbuls on Bauhenia kockiana

Yellow Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier) are one of my favourite birds. I love the spiked hair tufts on top of their heads. They are much bigger than sunbirds and almost the size of doves.

The throat and underparts are mostly white with an attractive yellow patch at the base of tail. This Bulbul was perched on the vine of Bauhenia kockiana.




Flowers of the Bauhenia kockiana which trailed along the outer edge of the RC rain gutter.



 
 
This Bulbul has completed one part of its grooming routine and ...


... pause for a break.


Intertwining of two vines.

 
A cluster of Bauhenia kockiana buds and flowers.

 


 

 
It then embarked on a second cycle of preening. Somehow it only groomed the right wing and totally ignored the left wing.


This vine extends to the back of the house too.


12 comments:

  1. Ohh Elsie..such an amazing view. The birds and especially the Bauhenia blooms look so beautiful..My Bauhenia almost died because the goats eaten the whole part of the plants. Seems need to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Normala and thank you.

      These flowers are beauties, only that it is a pity that they have no fragrance. I suppose with such flamboyant blooms, exuding fragrance would have been an overkill!.

      Delete
  2. Yellow Vented Bulbul is as big as doves? I don't think I have come across this bird before. It is plump and cute hehe... Great photos as usual, Elsie! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bulbuls are the size of small zebra doves. They seem to have an ubiquitous presence in Malaysian gardens.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have seen Bauhenia before. Such bright, colourful flowers. The Bulbuls look as though they are great little characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bauhenias are quite popular here especially for those who are willing to make the extra effort of staking the long trailing vines. The bulbuls seem to be having a great time in my garden.

      Delete
  4. Funny birds Elsie! I liked how it groomed its wings, very carefully.
    The plant bauhenia kockiana is very bright, unusual. I loved to see such flowers when I visited the tropical country.
    Has it any fragrance? Do the insects love it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that the birds in my garden spent a lot of time grooming,. I wonder how it is like in other places.
      Bauhenia kockiana are constant bloomers but have no fragrance at all. The flowers are bright enough to attract insects without additional enticement.

      Delete
  5. Such a pretty flowers! Cute birds too! I have them in my garden too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds love flowers, so you must be doing the right thing for the birds.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...