Friday, May 23, 2014

Lyssa Zampa - Tropical Swallowtail Moth

Lyssa zampa is a large moth, measuring around 6 in across. It is also known as the Tropical Swallowtail Moth due to its long trailing hindwings. This moth presents in shades of chocolate brown varying from light to dark. A distinctive oblique white stripe runs across both the fore and hind wings giving it a striking 'V' pattern.

 
A large moth, Lyssa zampa appeared in my garden with a torn right forewing. It perched on the vine of Bauhenia kockiana (Rangoon creeper) for some respite from its misadventures.



 
 
Masses of Bauhenia kockiana along the vine add much hot and vibrant colours to the garden.

 
 Pendulous branches carry terminal inflorescences. A single seed pod forms on one of the older clusters.

   A Lyssa zampa moth made a  surprise visit to our garden. Later in the evening it perched on the wall of the outdoor/ Asian kitchen.


The eyes generally appear black as in the previous photo (also the first and second ones too) but may manifest as an iridescent red globe from certain angles and under bright lighting.

 
The anterior edge of the forewings has an interesting band of black and white zebra hide markings. As with most moths a luxuriant coat of fur covers its back.

 
The hind wings are elongated like those of swallows ...

 and end in white.



 Cuttings from The Star, Updated on 5 June 2014:




12 comments:

  1. Your Bauhenia is looking great! Love the colors. Mine very slow growing. I remember this kupu-kupu was flying over my backyard and stopped at the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initial growth of Bauhenia is slow but once it is mature which is about 3 years from seedlings, it will reward you with flowers almost non-stop.

      Delete
  2. Stiletto, I love your banner pic!!! It's so pretty!!! I don't recall seeing a Tropical Swallowtail Moth in my garden before. Thanks for the close-ups :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Tecoma stans is one of my favourite too. Once in a while, Tropical Swallowtail Moths visit my garden.

      Delete
  3. This Lyssa is something unusual, an alien of the other world! I have not seen Tropical Swallowtail, is it dangerous for people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might look a bit alien and like a bat, but it is absolutely harmless.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what an amazing moth. We don't have anything as big as that over here. I think the biggest over here is about three inches across. That wouldn't even fit in my moth trap! It must be incredible to find creatures like that in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, here you are like moth to flame! :) Your passion for butterflies and moths runs real deep.

      The Swallowtail Moth is big but not as large as the Atlas moth. They can be quite scary when they unwittingly flap their wings against your face!

      Delete
  5. I haven’t seen such a big moth! I’d feel scared when I see it in person. It fits to the powerful tropical flowers. I think your photo illustration is more or as detailed as an insect illustrated encyclopedia.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yoko. As I have taken close-ups of the moth, I felt compelled to describe the details. This is actually more for my own benefit so that I can recognize them better.

      I concur with you that the moth goes with the lush tropical foliage and loud, striking flowers.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful orange flower!
    My mother use to tell that if this moth come inside the house, someone close to us are coming to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lots of seedlings all over my garden because the mother plant has become so large.

      Its a lovely thought to think that this moth announces the arrival of close relatives.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...