Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Yellow-vented Bulbul on Papaya Tree

I saw this Yellow Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier) sitting pretty on my papaya tree and just couldn't resist taking some shots.





The sun was blazing hot and it must have taken to the shade to cool off.


The papaya tree was framed by bougainvilleas and heliconias.  Towards the back  and beyond are trees and shrubs on the low hills.


Basking in the filtered and dappled light must have been an enjoyable experience for it stayed for quite a while.


It gave a cursory glance at the direction of the fruits and flowers and was not moved to partake of them.


 

However it shook its posterior vigorously in some ritualistic form of grooming.

When grooming was don, it took flight to ...



a wooden stake nearby.



Another papaya tree next to an Norfolk Island tree.


 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think its a 'cocky' bird with its spiked hair.

      Delete
  2. All of your plants and birds always look very exotic to my eye - the Yellow Vented Bulbul is a very handsome bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a handsome and dashing bird indeed with its blackrimmed eyes, like wearing dark aviation glasses

      Delete
  3. How wonderful! Gorgeous bird but for me the papaya tree and Norfolk Island tree stole the show as these are often grown here as house plants. To see them outside and growing so large is quite a treat! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The papaya plant is okay but the Norfolk Island Tree is a giant. I've had the upper part lopped off twice and it grew back with a vengence. My current Norfolk is planted in a container to serve as my live Christmas tree.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful shot of bulbul and papaya tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected it to pose for me on the papaya tree :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful little bird!
    The only birds I've seen in my area are crows, probably that's why the other birds kept away!
    Very soon, you'll have juicy papayas to harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've harvested lots of papayas and they are really juicy and sweet unlike store-bought ones.

      Delete
  6. Very nice and cute bird, Elsie. We have no like it here, interesting to learn more, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not as colourful as some other birds but appears pompous and dignify.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...