Saturday, June 16, 2012

Alpinia purpurata and the Resident Frog

I planted some Alpinia purpurata (red ginger torch) rhizomes outside the entrance to my abode. The conditions must be most ideal as the clump became much larger and lush in no time. 
 
It thrives under the dappled sunlight created from the ...
 
canopy of Quisqualis indica (Rangoon creeper) above.
Both provide an effective screen from the sun, keeping temperatures lower.
A ginger torch bud begins to bloom.
The flower petals open up from bottom to top.
Apple green foliage sets off the red flower beautifully. 
The yellow flowers of the draping Nong nooch vine is in the background.
 
Mealy bugs love to hide in the many crevices of the flower.
 
This green translucent caterpillar had spunned some strong silky fibres to stitch the edges of the leaf in readiness for its next stage.
The canes created a secluded sanctuary for this solitary tree frog that resides in my Alpinia clump.
It stirred and jumped away when I rustled the canes to get better access for our intimate photography sessions. 
 A new position was assumed on a leaf. The ginger torch was draped with the fallen flowers of the Rangoon creeper towering above.  

The pastel flowers are just a day old whilst the red ones are two to three days old.
 With its bulging eyes and folded forearms, it appeared to be presiding over this clump from his verdant hammock.
 
An insect flew by and immediately roused this otherwise placid frog.
It immediately went on 'predator mode' and managed to get its prey with a quick flick of its tongue. I was so stunned by this murderous act that I failed to capture the scene.
I've always been partial to images of frogs. Here this pair had the rare chance of enjoying the outdoors.
A cloisonne frog and pill box among newly plucked Quisqualis indica flowers.

These are some glass canisters with froggy enhanced covers from my Ranidae collection. 

18 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your Quisqualis in bloom because mine refuses to even consider gracing me with flowers.

    I grew it from seed many years ago, and it happily survives in a state of green leafy bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the single flowers of you Rangoon Creeper. You have capture the frog very well in the photos. It looked very cute and seem to having a good time living among your alpinias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's wonderful to see both of these plants together in this post. Also I am surprised that they have the same shade (their blooms) - rangoon creeper and that alpinia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Frog probably thinks you planted both for him - food and shelter provided in beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Prospero, Quisqualis is easily propagated from suckers found around any mature plant. It takes about a year to mature, after which it will bloom non stop throughout the year, perfuming your garden with its delicate fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are SUCH gorgeous photos. You're such a great photographer - and it's helpful that you have such willing and beautiful subjects. Those frog photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beauty - ginger and Rangoon Creeper. And the most lovely one is to have a tree frog in your garden and you are able to capture every part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aaron, the frogs are cute as it is but not so when they land on you. I have had such an experience when one jumped on me, its cold webbed feet plastered on my arm. I love to photograph them but not as a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gosh these flowers are beautiful and how lovely that they filled in so well. Nice to see the wild world is happy with your plantings, I always feel if something wild lives in my plants I've done something right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BakingBarb, I can't agree with you more. I've always strived to create an eco-friendly enironment, thus no pesticides or fungicides use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting how the Ginger torch flowers open from the bottom up and the Rangoon creeper blooms change color as they age. Enjoyed seeing all the flowers and critters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the post. Mother Nature is amazing in its creation of all things big and small, unique or otherwise.

      Delete
  12. Lovely blooms and I ADORE those tree frogs...so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that the tree frog is so adorable :)

      Delete
  13. Very beautiful flowers! And I also like the frog sitting on the leaf. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga for your visit and appreciation of this post.

      Delete
  14. I love Alpinia purpuratas but fail quite miserably in getting them to grow big & strong & flower nicely. I have tried planting in the open garden where it is sunny, in pots, in a part of garden that is partly shaded, etc; but they remain puny & new shoots turn yellow before they are fully grown.
    Please, please tell me how to grow them like you do...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They love soil rich in organic nutrients with plenty of moisture. They do not really need full sun. Some of my A. purpurata are in partial shade and their leaves are deep green and lush. Use lots of organic fertilizers (I used commercial pellets) and water liberally. Once the clump is established you would be busy culling some :) - promise!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...