Friday, November 9, 2012

Picturesque and Quaint Kinsale

We first heard about Kinsale from locals. It is about 25 km from Cork on the south west coast of Ireland. It started as a fishing village and now reputed to be a picturesque and quaint town, much worthy of a visit.

 
The colours, vibrancy and energy of Kinsale town is embodied in this image.



Along the Route
 
A charming bucolic scene. It looks like some diligent farmers did a giant agrarian patchwork to compete with the homey quilts done by the ladies.



The meadow was dotted with black-white Hertfordshire cows completely absorbed in grazing, having being tasked to produce decent yields from their squeezable udders. 



To our chagrin the sheeps totally ignored us too. Perhaps they were busy grazing so as to grow a mantle of fluffy wool.



We from the tropics would never have thought of planting grasses, ornamental or otherwise. Imagine the dispersal of their progeny with the slightest of breezes.


A row of neatly pruned conifers screen the house beyond from prying eyes and flying dust.

 
Flowers tumble over weathered boulders for a cascading effect.



Ahoy! all on board. There is a sort of sytem operating on this vessel. An avian captain in front looking intently ahead while a conductor is stationed at the rear. Then there are four sentinels overseeing from higher levels with three others keeping a watchful eye into the cabin below.


 These are the preening seagulls on a concrete island. They reminded me of the sirens of Greek mythology whereby passing seafarers were lured into their lair.



At the Waterfront

Scarlet and yellow begonias growing cheek by jowl show up strong contrast and heady colours.


Fuchsia is one of my favourite temperate climate plants.

 
 



A large anchor erected to the memory of unfortunate Kinsale seafarers.


This contraption was as much needed then as today's GPS.

 
A streaked sky makes the whole Marina so bewitching.


Can't see the boats for the rope.

 
Boats and yachts berthed at the Marina.


On the Streets
 
For a small town, there seems to be no shortage of shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs and hotels or lodgings to suit every budget or requirements.

This quaint Tourist Office attest to an essential economic activity of tourism in this town.



 Symbolic reminders of the provenance of this village.


 
 
 
 
 The range of shops are as varied as their gamut of vivid colours.

  
Old Mother Hubbard. Went to the cupboard,
To give the poor dog a bone; When she came there,
The cupboard was bare, And so the poor dog had none.




This type of footwear comes highly recommended as Big Foot also shops here.


 
Tinsels and baubles shimmered and titillated window shoppers.
 



Fruits and flowers spill out onto the pavement.



Accomodation may come with some grand names such as this ...


and this. The stay might also be equally grand.


 Some like this one appeal to the romantics. I'm reminded of the novel, 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert which was make into a movie starring Julia Roberts





If you are in a perky mood, these colourful lodgings would be just right. Psychedelic dreams might be thrown in as a bonus.


For the more sedate visitors, traditional lodgings with a homey feel are also available just round the corner from the busy streets.



This majestic hotel has an old world charm. Traffic here is heavy so it might be a good idea ...


to ride around in a bike, a Harvey Davidson, no less.


A Toot-toot train bedecked with festive ribbons runs through town for the foot-weary and also for those who want to soak in its novelty.


Mode of transport included trundling this boat across town to the waters.


The annual Kinsale Gourmet Festival was on.


The celebrants wore zany hats. I like the one with the 'Teapot Pouring on Teacup'. If no hats were available, sticking some fork, knives and spoons through coiffed hair will do just as well.




At Poet's Corner, a caliph wannabe strutted his stuff in a commanding headgear.


They looked like they were on their way to attend the Mad Hatter's tea-party.

 
I half expected to see a March Hare in top hat running through the street.

   
They traipsed all over town lending it a fesive air.
 
 



Purple-White Pansies


A mass of tiny indigo flowers (phlox?) tumble down.



Magenta and baby pink Cyclamens.


To Lunch

 After taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the town, we were in the perfect mood for lunch.
I was trying to check out some restaurants in the vicinity when my daughter snapped this photo. I was a bit miffed as I was not in focus but some inedible berries were obviously the subject :(  So, it was the perfect excuse for lunch not to be on me :D

 The extended branch of a berry plant partially cover this wall plaque in an attempt to show a modicum of humility. The word 'BEST' was still visible.

 We selected this restaurant based on its facade ...

 

The plants and hand-roasted coffee got my vote in choosing this restaurant.


A window box display outside the restaraunt holds Geraniums and some silver foliage.


 
This cute eight-month-old tot at the next table took a shine to us and contentedly sat on my lap. He belongs to a young German couple who were visiting. From time to time, he tilted his head a ninety degress to look at us. He was such a cutie-pie and so very clever for his tender age.

Leaving Kinsale


Driving out in the late afternoon, we passed through a quite street.




and then more quiet streets with shuttered shops.
 

 
If for any reason, having a mural is not feasible, Kinsale residents do not despair. They merely cover their walls with plants. What a clever idea!


 
 A burst of colours was spied on some resident's otherwise bare pillar.

My hydrangeas can never quite aspire to look like this. I blame it on the climate. Without a doubt, it has got nothing to do with my green fingers or lack of it.

 Blackberry bushes laden with fruits were found all along the roadside.


Blackberries at various stages of ripening present an interesting array of colours.
These were popped into the mouth. I survived!


Blackberry flowers were stunning. They reminded me of plum or peach blossoms.


The Song of the Blackberry Fairy
My berries cluster black and thick
For rich and poor alike to pick.

I'll tear your dress, and cling, and tease,
And scratch your hands
and arms and knees.


I'll stain your fingers and your face
And then I'll laugh at your disgrace.

But when the bramble-jelly's made
You'll find your trouble well repaid.

by Cicely Mary Barker

32 comments:

  1. Hi stiletto...wow such an interesting city.. thanks for sharing with us..kalau tak tak dpt tgklah bandar kinsale..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ummuaidan, this is indeed a charming town. It is a popular destination with tourists. Besides boating, there is also golf and other recreational activities. As you can see, there are many shops, restaurants, watering holes and hotels.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You've had an amazing and wonderful trip to Ireland! I just love those colourful houses! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Satu, it is a colourful town like so many of the towns and certain streets in cities that I have visited in Sweden and in Canada.

      Delete
  3. A lot of you showed us beautiful pictures of wonderful berth. Small blue flowers is Lobelia, For me there are no flowers, potted chrysanthemums only reign, busy place to visit, I cordially greet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zapach, thanks for providing the ID of the indigo flowers. I did a search and they do look like Lobelias.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stiletto, your post made me so envious as I might not be able to visit Ireland or Scotland in this lifetime. We call our Batanes as Little Ireland because of the quaint hilly landscape, and layback style. Your post is very long but it didn't bore us because of your funny style of describing the photos. In fact i long for more. You are so good with your writing style too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Ireland in Phillipines must be an interesting place too. Glad you can see the humour to enjoy this longwinded post - I must have got carried away ;)

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous post!! I want to go there NOW!! :o) Those hats are insane! But I love how proudly the locals wear them. They look like a fun bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides the fine weather, the atmosphere was festive and gay. I do not know whether they are locals or tourists. All I know is that they were having fun.

      Delete
  6. A trip full of colour and craziness, you've captured the magic and warmth, humour, hospitality, seaside, countryside and village life of a wonderful city! Thanks for the tour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a holiday town with all the things that you've mentioned and just outside of Cork (25 km). I myself was captivated by the magic.

      Delete
  7. Wow, 69 photos in one post! I sighed in contentment. I enjoyed the town which feels quaint. The big name hotels are a bit overwhelming to me, I’d choose 37 B&B. You also took many pictures of flowers: that’s your style, Stilleto. Thanks for taking us along with you to this terrific tour.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stardust, I didn't realise that there were that many photos. When you mentioned it, I counted and my goodness, there were 70, not including the last image which accompanies the Blackberry fairy. I think I really went overboard. I selected the photos based the on the stories they tell and must have got carried away. Anyway I'm glad that you enjoyed the tour.

      Delete
  8. So many beautiful scenes. I love the patchwork countryside and the blackberry clusters look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patchwork fields made a great impact on me too. The blackberry bushes by the roadsides were so laden with fruits that I was enticed to stop by the side of the road to view, photograph and savour them.

      Delete
  9. Hi:)Have really enjoyed my tour around Kinsale, it looks like an interesting place to visit.Very nice pictures, and humorous commentary made it all the more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Breataking, I'm so glad that you've enjoyed this virtual tour of Kinsale. I was so entranced by the magic, I thought I should share my experience with my fellow bloggers. Thanks for kind words and being able to see the humour in my tongue-in-cheek comments.

      Delete
  10. The Gourmet Food Festival of Kinsale is brilliant, and indeed you must have missed out on seeing the March Hare, White Rabbit and Alice too! They were there! The weekend festival consists of a Black Tie Gourmet Ball, 'Cook-Offs' in the street and the Mad Hatters Gourmet Trail! The restaurants, scenery, shops and air of Kinsale are fabulous. Great photos! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case we must have missed out a lot. We didn't do enough homework prior to the trip as it was a last minute decision. I hope my comments were accurate as they were based entirely on my own observations and experience. Btw, thanks for the kind compliments on the photos.

      Delete
  11. I have only been once to visit my sister who lives in Ireland. She always complains about the grey weather there, but Ireland looks very colorful in your pictures. The bright shop fronts must make up for some of that gloomy weather. Love the boat being skippered by sea gulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told that it wasn't always as sunny as when I was there. Kinsale was colourful, gay and cheerful during my brief visit there. I've always love to watch the frolics of seagulls.

      Delete
  12. Dziękuję za piękną wycieczkę wśród kolorowych domów i kwiatów. Pozdrawiam.
    Thank you for the beautiful tour of colored houses and flowers. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giga, I'm glad that you enjoyed the tour but nothing beats visiting the place to see it for yourself.

      Delete
  13. Wow! I loved your post, Stiletto. Thanks for taking us along. Your photos are beautiful. I'm so glad you posted the photo of the blackberry flower (such a beauty). Love The Song of the Blackberry Fairy too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments and appreciating. I've always been delighted with blackberries and hardly miss a chance to photograph them. It would be a wonderful to have real fairies around.

      Delete
  14. quite nice...they are mad!! I wish to go now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sharon, let's go to the Mad Hatter's party. I saw them trooping into some side alley.

      Delete
  15. You were very, very far from home, but the area is so beautiful that I am sure it was worth the long journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far, yes but not as far as when I was travelling to USA east and Canada several months before this trip. Glad to have you dropping by. Best regards.

      Delete
  16. ohhh..
    Truly beautiful and the experience of another world of colours, blooms and berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, glad that you've enjoyed the excursion. The colours were so vivid that it had seared into my imagination for quite a while.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...